Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Noobie here couple of Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
andyn11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noobie here couple of Q's

An i use tesco frozen berrie mix for making a simple and easy wine ??

Do i need the other things i see on recipes that isnt fruit / fruit juice (wut ever) sugar and yeast ??

Wen using actual fruit or berries do i really need a "nylon bag" will i have to buy one or is there a shortcut tho this or another method?

Sorry if these are silly Q's iam rather new to wine making ... Made 2 batches of youngs white wine from a bought kit and 1 batch of youngs red wine (followed instructions and turned out drinkable)

image-2299659293.jpg   image-2855306836.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

I'm guessing this is frozen fruit with NO PRESERVATIVES. Sure you can use frozen fruit, you might thaw it & then refreeze it & then thaw it again just before you let it come up to room temp for fermentation; this will help to break down cell walls & extract more juice/flavour from the fruit. Also, a dose of pectic enzyme will help to break down cell walls AND pectins, thereby helping to clear your wine; though technically it's not a fining agent.

You don't HAVE to use a straining bag to contain the fruit if you don't want to, but using a mesh bag to contain the fruit pulp really does make things easier. If you don't, some of the fruit will float, but it will all eventually sink to the bottom & become a sort of sludge, mixed in with the "lees" or settled yeast. This takes up space & actually holds a certain amount of wine that you won't be able to siphon, so you'll lose that much wine. I've done it both ways, I mostly use the bag now.
Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply