Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
joe7dust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default noob questions

I'm going to use SuperYeast and refined sugar to create my first 20% ABV homebrew. I plan on going by this guide: The Homebrew Company: SUPERYEAST

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

4: Will the powder yeast keep well if I only use half at a time?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
curt656
Recipes 

Look, not to put you off or anything but that is the kind of stuff where you aren't going to find anyone to help you with. Read this article and you will see why you aren't getting any constructive replies. What you are trying to make isn't the reason any of us are on this site.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
joe7dust
Recipes 

So you've never fermented yeast then? Question number one isn't exactly rocket science I just wanted confirmation from those who have done it before.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
curt656
Recipes 

If you think you know the answer, then why are you asking the question? I may be inexperienced but, as you say, it's not rocket science. The experienced people here see right through you and I am just backing them up with evidence. Your problem is that no one believes you and as a result no one is willing to help you. This site is about beer, wine, mead, and cider, and what you are making is, quite apparant, none of the above.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
joe7dust
Recipes 

I'm asking to be sure, I want it to be as good as it can be. It's a wine and not illegal below 20%

Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
coolbeerluke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
I'm asking to be sure, I want it to be as good as it can be. It's a wine and not illegal below 20%
what exactly are you trying to make? wine is fermenting the sugars of fruit. didn't you say that you are fermenting sugar and water and going to mix it with punch? and you cannot ferment yeast, as yeast is the fermenter.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
joe7dust
Recipes 

Refined sugar, fruit of the sugarcane if it makes you feel better. What does it really matter?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

This is frustrating. Your asking how to make something that every brewer here knows will taste horrible. We dedicate alot of time and energy to make the best brews possible and your asking how to make prison bitch hootch. Thats being said your just asking how to make hootch. Pretty simple. Add yeast to sugar and leave to ferment. You should use an airlock. Dont bother with the finning agent. Im just saying its gonna suck. If it were going to be distilled it would still be horrible but youd be drunker faster. Its your deal but dont do it man.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
akamatt
Recipes 

Default why?

I watched your other post get flamed and you just repost it with another heading? this isnt the palce for your ?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
I want it to be as good as it can be.

Then why are you making this???? You have had several brewers and winemakers (and very good ones at that) try to tell you that what you are making is going to taste like lighter fluid, at best.

Yes it will ferment.Yes you will get a buzz off of it. If you can actually force yourself to choke it down.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply