Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Non Aggressive Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Níl_fhios_agam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Non Aggressive Fermentation

I have started a second "first batch". The first "real" batch I used a small Kit in a demijohn. A few days later I started a larger Kit in a fermentation bin. I noticed today though that the later one, the one in the tub, doesn't seem to bubble as much as the small demijohn. The demijohn was very aggressive bubbling a lot. The tub, in its 3rd day of primary, at 22 degrees constant, is bubbling about once every 3-5 seconds.

Should I be concerned? I do noticed there is more "space" in the tub than the demijohn but not sure if this is the reason.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I assume you have a lid on it with an airlock, since you are referring to bubbling.

All and all there is nothing to be concerned with, some brews will just ferment differently, as long as it is fermenting you should be fine.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is not uncommon at all to have different fermentations go along at different speeds. Yeast is a living organism and isn't perfectly predictable. Also, if the "bin" is a bucket with a lid you will have some c02 seeping out the sides and the airlock or blowoff won't bubble as much.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

My guess is that, because the must in the demijohn has a smaller surface area than your current primary fermentation vessel, the activity only seemed more robust.

Quick Reply