New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Newyears Wine!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Carolinabrew21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newyears Wine!

Hey Guys,

So I'm getting ready to whip up some apple wine for newyears my question is about how much apple and sugar would i need to achieve 10gals at 15%ABV

any info would help thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

15% ABV apple wine? For THIS New Years? Won't happen. At least, if it's done fermenting, it won't be drinkable. That's only about what? 3.5 weeks?

But, for next year, my recipe (in my drop down under my avatar) makes a 12% ABV wine. If you want 15%, you can use champagne yeast and bring the OG to 1.100 and make sure you use plenty of yeast nutrient and/or enegizer.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 what Yooper said.

I made apple wine last year, and it has only been in the bottle just over 3 months. I'm going to hang on to a bunch of mine for my wedding this coming June.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
CampFireWine
Recipes 

I am going to start my Christmas wine this weekend. I should be done a week ahead of time so I can start giving it out for presents.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

I made this year's Christmas/New years apfelwein during the week between X-mas and new year, LAST Year.

Noone I know could stand that stuff less than six months old, but love it when it is a year.

4 week old 15+ abv wine??? *shudder*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone Make Champagne for New Years?

I assume it can be done, right? Sounds like a neat thing to do, you know a small batch made in January or February every year then aged until the New Year.

*****How did I do that??? It was supposed to be a NEW thread!! Fair enough, it was this thread that gave me the idea so I will let it ride as such, sorry for changing the topic. :-(

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I assume it can be done, right? Sounds like a neat thing to do, you know a small batch made in January or February every year then aged until the New Year.
I carb my apfewein high and call it apple champagne and give folks bottles for new years. If I have any ready. I don't make it every year.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
4 week old 15+ abv wine??? *shudder*
How about my 2 week 20%? I have been doing it all year. You know the old saying, garbage in, garbage out, or was that age the garbage out.

If you keep is clean in the beginning then there is no need to age out the off flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabrew21 View Post
Newyears Wine!
If you have access to or can buy a brew belt and the yeast I use, I will give you my phone # for you to call me for the recipe and directions, if you really want to make some for then.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I started a thread about apple champagne ready for NEXT New Years here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/apple-champagne-209086/

From what I've read 12% apple wine needs a few (4-6) months to be good I'm thinking 15% would need more. Reevy can I get your apple champagne recipe? Is it Apfelwein strength or regular wine strength? how many volumes do you carb your apple champagne to?

Sorry for the de-rail but I got excited when I read advice from Yopper and Reevy in the same thread.

Back to the "Can he have 15% wine ready in a month" question?
I say it will be done fermenting but quite rough drinking...

Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If you want just carbonate the apfelwein you already have. Treat it like a beer -- ferment it until it's dry, calculate bottling sugar, add... watch out for yeast in the bottom. Or, if you have a keg set up, just put it under gas, voila!

Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Quick Reply