Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Newbie Wine Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
ohiodad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Newbie Wine Question

O.k. last sunday my wife and I started a Vintner's Reserve Gewurtz kit. It said in 5 to 7 days take a sample and check gravity etc then transfer to a 6 gallon carboy. Now I have a question. With my beer brewing I never move a beer to the secondary when there are still bubbles in the airlock.. This wine however is still perking away quite strong and showing no signs of letting up after almost a week. Do I move it on the 7th day or leave it ferment out before moving. Is it normal to do it this way, with bubbles still coming in the airlock? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4909 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

You move it when it says to. For wine, there really IS a secondary fermentation. I always move mine when the sg is 1.020 or so or less. This protects the wine from oxidation. The co2 coming out will definitely drop down and you want to move the wine before that, if that makes sense. For some of my wines, I've moved them as early as 3 days into primary. Sometimes wine will go dry really fast, but sometimes it's a little slower.

Another reason they have you move it sooner rather than later is for clearing. It sounds counterintuitive, but you need some of the lees (sediment) to aid in clearing. The clearing compound they put in the kits needs something to "bind" to, so you stir up the lees into the wine when you add the clarifier. If you wait until after primary is over, you won't have the lees to do this. If you read through the instructions deeper into around step 3 or somewhere, I think they mention this.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
You move it when it says to. For wine, there really IS a secondary fermentation. I always move mine when the sg is 1.020 or so or less. This protects the wine from oxidation. The co2 coming out will definitely drop down and you want to move the wine before that, if that makes sense. For some of my wines, I've moved them as early as 3 days into primary. Sometimes wine will go dry really fast, but sometimes it's a little slower.

Another reason they have you move it sooner rather than later is for clearing. It sounds counterintuitive, but you need some of the lees (sediment) to aid in clearing. The clearing compound they put in the kits needs something to "bind" to, so you stir up the lees into the wine when you add the clarifier. If you wait until after primary is over, you won't have the lees to do this. If you read through the instructions deeper into around step 3 or somewhere, I think they mention this.
Wow thanks for the details Yoop! I thought maybe the process was somewhat different. This cleared it up well. Now I'm wondering if I should wait until the 7th day or do it now... I wasn't even going to pop the lid til Sunday.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Well, if the airlock is bubbling fast you don't need to check it. But I've had wines ferment out really fast, so why not go ahead, pop the lid and grab an sg? you can also then have a sample of your wine!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just out of curiosity, do you use different equipment for the wine....so as not to introduce undesireable yeasts/off flavors in your beer?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I don't- I figure glass is glass regardless of what was in it. I use the same primary buckets and tubing and autosiphon, too. I just clean and sanitize really well. My buckets are bright white and have no odor, so I haven't worried about it. I'm going to be getting some new tubing, though. Not because it's going to be separate, just because it's getting old.

I often do a final rinse of my equipment with a sulftie solution before I put it away. That's mainly because I store stuff in my damp basement.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Hmmmm....maybe one of these days I'll make some wine. Guess I'd just need a corker and some wine bottles and I'd be good to go, right?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Yep. That's pretty much it if you're doing kit wines. You already have the racking cane and tubing and hydrometer.

A word of warning, though- (make that two):

1. Wine is easier than beer, so it gets even more addicting.

2. Wine takes forever compared to beer, so you must be patient!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

#1 is good. #2 is bad! I figured it'd take a long time....I guess that makes it taste all the better!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alright so we racked it over to the carboy this weekend.. Very cloudy it is... Didn't top up yet as the kit said not to. Gravity reading was 1.008... Only problem I'm having is that I can't seem to keep a stopper in that 6 gallon carboy. Keeps pushing them out. I've tried a number 6.5 and a 7 and neither will stay... Only thing different from beer is that we are using one of those S shaped Airlocks. So anyway the next step says in 10 days we should be at .996 or less add some things and degass then add the F-pack sweetener. Cleanup in that bucket was remarkably easy compared to beer too... The sample we drew didn't taste too bad.. I was amazed at the amount of carbonation in it though...

Quick Reply