Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > newbie needs help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
mrx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default newbie needs help

I have searched the forums and did not find the answers i needed.
I have made wine in the past but not the proper way.

I have a 4.5 gal or so batch going and i have a few questions.

I started the batch and seen how much it was... did not want to waste it and decided to invest in some entry level equipment... got the wine kit after fermentation had started.

primary fermentation went great... did not use yeast... (big mistake) used lemon juice and sugar.

racked it to my new carboy put the air lock on...

1. how much fermenting action should there be in the second fermentation? I did not have the hydrometer so i have messed up there... alcohol content is 13 percent... smell is great... i did put 4 campden tabs in when i racked.

2. It has dropped some sediment but is still not clear... only been in second fermentation for 3 weeks or so.

I know i messed up... and will do different next time,,, but what should i do next and what should i look for ?

Follow up

i went back to the start.

Steralized everything...

got the instructions from my True Brew Gold kit...

here is the recipe for 1 gallon
4 lb blackberries

sugar which i did not add as it was already there

1 tsp yeast nutrient

1 tsp acid blend

1 tsp pectic enzyme

1 CAMPDEN TAB which i did not add

yeast................................

I assumed you would times that by 5 for 5 gal.

After i was done with it i was looking at a catalog and seen recipes in it... much to my dismay the recipe was TOTALY different.

20 lbs berries

10 1/2 lbs sugar

2tsp nutrient

3/4 tsp pectic enzyme for (5 gal).... the other said 1 tsp(for 1 gal !!!!!!!!!!)

acid blend 2 1/2 tbs...that is over 6 tsp!!

5 campden tabs

SO... have i screwed this batch up yet again????

More follow up

I added the yeast and all the other chemicals.

it will be a week sunday and nothing...

the first day after i added all the stuff it had a 4 inch circle of light foam in center of the primary... i stirred it up to get more oxygen to it and it hasn't bubbled since.

it does smell strongly of alcohol i am wondering if it has killed the yeast,

i have been thinking of activating the yeast in fresh juice and then add it to the mix... that may be throwing away good yeast after bad?

I still need any help or ideas you might have.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I'm a bit thick this morning- so I'm not quite understanding your questions. I know the info is there, but I'm not quite following.

How many batches did you make and which recipe did you follow?

If I understand correctly, you did add lemon juice and sugar to your must, but not yeast? What was the main ingredient, and how did you come up with 13% ABV without a hydrometer? If you answer those, I think I can answer the questions about your first batch.

Your second recipe looks ok, but I don't know what you mean about not adding sugar because it was in there? And that recipe that you found really isn't totally different, just slightly if you multiply it by 5 for 5 gallons.

I think it's just done with primary fermentation- it sounds fine! Is that second batch in a carboy with an airlock? Have you racked it at all? What is the current sg?

I think you're doing better than you give yourself credit for! It sounds ok to me so far.

A really good resource for wine making is here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

I refer to Jack Keller's site all the time for yeast information, winemaking information, and recipes.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
mrx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
I'm a bit thick this morning- so I'm not quite understanding your questions. I know the info is there, but I'm not quite following.

How many batches did you make and which recipe did you follow? I MADE ONE BATCH AND FOLLOWED THE 0NE GALLON BATCH TIMES 5

If I understand correctly, you did add lemon juice and sugar to your must, but not yeast? What was the main ingredient, and how did you come up with 13% ABV without a hydrometer?I STARTED THE BATCH AND THEN DECIDED TO ORDER THE EQUIPMENT KIT... USED THE HYDROMETER AFTER THE WILD YEAST HAD STARTED FERMENTING SO I HAVE NO BEGENNING SG READING... AND IT IS BLACKBERRY If you answer those, I think I can answer the questions about your first batch.

Your second recipe looks ok, but I don't know what you mean about not adding sugar because it was in there? THE BATCH HAD ALREADY FERMENTED , POORLY, WITHOUT YEAST And that recipe that you found really isn't totally different, just slightly if you multiply it by 5 for 5 gallons.

I think it's just done with primary fermentation- it sounds fine! Is that second batch in a carboy with an airlock? Have you racked it at all? What is the current sg?CURRENT SG IS 1.090

I think you're doing better than you give yourself credit for! It sounds ok to me so far.

A really good resource for wine making is here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp I HASVE READ THIS

I refer to Jack Keller's site all the time for yeast information, winemaking information, and recipes.
THE WHOLEdthing is now i have tried to restart by adding all the ingredents except the sugar and it has not started foaming in the secondary fermentation... there in is the root of my questions!
Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
mrx
Recipes 

Default no

first recipe times 5

Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Ok, 5 gallons of the recipe? Except no sugar? How did you arrive at 13% alcohol? And then you added the yeast later?

I think i'm finally starting to get what you're saying, please be patient with me!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you think you've got us figured out...

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Oh, no, no, no! I meant that I might have your RECIPE figured out!

I can't even figure myself out let alone another person!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
mrx
Recipes 

that was a different mr x..lol
ok... i see what you are gettin at.. i have no first reading so i have nothing to base the 13 % alcohol on the problem may be the campden tabs i may have to oxygenate the juice to get that out and more oxygen in???

Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

No, because I think it may be done fermenting. You don't want to oxygenate after it's been fermenting. I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly what you did before I give any advice because I'm still not sure.

Quick Reply