Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Newbe ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Countryboy73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok I'll have to look it up. I love blackberry wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Countryboy73
Recipes 

There was a place near where I live that sold everything needed for home brewing. I thought they closed the doors, I couldn't find them where they were before. I went by a mom and pop general store to get some stuff and what did I see in the corner of the store, a sign that said "the brew hut". I'm on cloud 9. I will be getting everything tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Awhile back there was a store by my house that sold everything for home brewing. I went by and they wasn't there anymore. I went by a mom and pop general store a couple of days ago for some stuff and what did I see in the corner of the store, a sign that said "The Brew Hut". I'm on cloud 9. I will be getting everything I need to get started on my first batch tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Sorry about the last 2 posts. My iPhone acts up at times and it shows that a post didn't post and I do another and about an hour or so later it shows both posts. My LHBS has carbonation drops/tablets, are these any good for carbonating beverages.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I have a store near me but I still by a lot online. I like rebel brewer a lot. If you get into this hobby you will probably outgrow a general store pretty quickly.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Let me rephrase that. The LHBS by my house.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
castti
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default made a blackberry wine like this...people love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy73 View Post
I saw a recipe a while back for blackberry wine. In the directions he said to split the sugar into 1/3's and put 1/3 in to start then after it stopped bubbling until all sugar was used. Is there any difference from that an putting all in at 1 time.
I really am unable to answer your question. Just want to encourage you to try the 1/3 at a time recipe. It was fun and the people who have tasted it have mostly loved it. The one who didn't thought it was dry. So a couple of people here explained about adding sugar back in and that fixed it for Cait. Wicked learning experience. Wish I had taken the specific gravity. One man who likes "potent" wine says it is kick ass. Lol.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy73 View Post
My LHBS has carbonation drops/tablets, are these any good for carbonating beverages.
Yes they are good for carbing, but are basically sugar tablets. A cheaper alternative is to use corn sugar or dextrose to carbonate. You'll find that as you get into this hobby that buying commonly used items in bulk will save much time and $ (i.e. pickup two packets of whatever yeast you need at the time). You'll get an idea of what to stock up on as you progress and gain experience.

It's an addictive adventure. As your supplies accumulate and you make more wine, you'll also quickly grow out of vessles. It seems the day you finally get a dozen 1gal carboys is the same day you decide to do nothing less than 5gal at a time...and so on...

Congrats on the first batch and keep us posted as it goes. Welcome to the club.

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also...there are some great stickies that give info about how to harvest yeast and freeze it, etc. So if accessability is an issue one packet of yeast can actually yield many batches of wine.

May want to consider Skeeter Pee, www.skeeterpee.com, it is an excellent hard lemonade like beverage. You both may enjoy it, plus it is typically ready to consume in 60-90 days, sometimes sooner. I seem to recall there is a thread about Dragon's Blood in 15 Days, essentially a berry blend Skeeter Pee.

Enjoy your adventures.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Thanks to everybody for the info. I'm really looking forward to making some wine for me and some wine cooler style stuff for my wife, although ill be drinking it with her. I haven't made a batch yet. When I plan on getting everything something happens and I have to wait. Hopefully that'll change here soon. Thanks again for all the info. Hopefully here very soon ill be saying bottoms up.

Quick Reply