New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to winemaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, if you're doing a 6 gallon wine kit. It should go to within about 2 inches of the bung, or at least where the very narrow opening starts at the bottom of the neck of the carboy.
Thanks, do you recommend I use the same type of wine to top off? Or will water work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
Thanks, do you recommend I use the same type of wine to top off? Or will water work?
Water only, in a 6 gallon wine kit. The topping off is built into the recipe.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #23
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Water only, in a 6 gallon wine kit. The topping off is built into the recipe.
I am new to this and just want to make sure this looks right. Seems like a lot of water to add.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

But it it's a 6 gallon kit, and that's a 6 gallon carboy, the water to top off with is built into the recipe.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
hawkeyes
Recipes 

It is a 6 gallon carboy. It says 6 gallon on the bottom. I am just wondering if this carboy is a bit bigger then 6 gallon. I was reading on here that some carboys do have some extra headspace .25 - .75 gallon extra. If it is, maybe it won't matter too much.

When I am done with this kit. I will test the carboy by measuring 6 gallons and pouring it into the carboy to be sure.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
It is a 6 gallon carboy. It says 6 gallon on the bottom. I am just wondering if this carboy is a bit bigger then 6 gallon. I was reading on here that some carboys do have some extra headspace .25 - .75 gallon extra. If it is, maybe it won't matter too much.

When I am done with this kit. I will test the carboy by measuring 6 gallons and pouring it into the carboy to be sure.
Yes, it probably holds more than 6 gallons. But it really doesn't matter. Really. The wine kit manufacturer knows this, and it will be fine. I promise.

Winexpert even guarantees their kits, if you follow their (excellent) instructions. Relax. It's a decent cheap kit, and the instructions are good. The manufacturer is well known as backing up their products. It's fine. Really.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #27
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Yes, it probably holds more than 6 gallons. But it really doesn't matter. Really. The wine kit manufacturer knows this, and it will be fine. I promise.

Winexpert even guarantees their kits, if you follow their (excellent) instructions. Relax. It's a decent cheap kit, and the instructions are good. The manufacturer is well known as backing up their products. It's fine. Really.
Thanks Yooper!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
tjdavid
Recipes 

Quote:
I learned that at one point years ago, 6 gal. carboys made in Mexico and those made in Italy may not have been exactly 6 gal.

I once racked from an Italian carboy to a Mexican carboy and had about 32 oz left over.

Nonetheless, when I now rack to a carboy, I do so to the same style carboy so the volume is the same.

Cheers!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
hawkeyes
Recipes 

I have some questions about the degassing part. I just spent about an hour and half stiring the wine with a 24" Mix-stir w/ drill. Seems like all the foam is gone. I see some bubbles but not totally gone. Should the Wine have no signs of bubbles? Also, the instructions said to take a sample and shake it, and let go. If there was a 'puff' then its not done yet. I did this and it foamed up and made the puffing sound. So I'm assuming I gotta keep doing this? Is it OK to go back to it tomorrow or the day after? Do I have to top off now or when the degassing is completed?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I have some questions about the degassing part. I just spent about an hour and half stiring the wine with a 24" Mix-stir w/ drill. Seems like all the foam is gone. I see some bubbles but not totally gone. Should the Wine have no signs of bubbles? Also, the instructions said to take a sample and shake it, and let go. If there was a 'puff' then its not done yet. I did this and it foamed up and made the puffing sound. So I'm assuming I gotta keep doing this? Is it OK to go back to it tomorrow or the day after? Do I have to top off now or when the degassing is completed?
Yes, if you take it out and shake it and get gas, you're not done degassing. Top it up when degassing is completed.

Degassing is easier when the wine is warmer, as warm wine releases c02 better. If you can get it to a warmer place, that will help it go faster. Tomorrow or the day after is fine.

Quick Reply