Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to winemaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes
Instructions also say to do the following..

"NOTES:
1. Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and clearing. Winexpert kits require the sediment to be stirred back into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment prior to fining will permanently prevent clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from the bottom.
2. Vigorous stirring is required during this stage. Without vigorous stirring, gas in the wine will prevent clearing.
At each stirring, whip the wine until it stops foaming. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your retailer) can save labour."

I saw a video where they racked a 2nd time before degassing and adding the rest of the ingredients. They said to do this to leave the sediment behind before degassing. The instructions are actually saying do NOT. Which one do I do?
Follow the directions as stated. It does work!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Thanks for the advise! Would I be fine using filtered tap water like I do for my beer? I figure it it works great for beer should be OK for wine?
Apparently the water profile is less important in wine than beer, so if that's fine for your beer, its fine for your wine!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
tjdavid
Recipes 

hawkeyes,
The following link is to an article from Tim Vandergrift, who is the guru from Winexpert:
http://www.winemakermag.com/componen...article/26/850

Be patient, and don't rush the process. Check with your wine supply shop to see if they would test your wine prior to bottling. Kits normally have a low acid level, so I normally add the appropriate amount of tartaric acid.

When adding water per the instructions, spring water is fine. Do not use distilled water.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Follow the directions. After you degass it is time to top off. It is best to top off with wine the same stile you are making.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
thebiggabeats
Recipes 

Quote:
Hello,

I have been homebrewing for over a year now. I started with extract and now doing All Grain. Over the year, I learned a lot on how to make my beer better. I will have my first Vintners Reserve Wine Kit tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or advise to help make my first batch a success?

Thanks!
Hi, I'm just jumping on this forum asking for advise as I'm new to winemaking too. I have my 3rd wine on the go: Ken Ridge Classic Sav Blanc.

I'm due to rack my wine into a new carboy in two days for degassing. The instructions say to add the Potassium Metabisulphate and stir with a spoon (or shake). Stir wine several times over the next 2 days.

I have a wine whip, so stir with that. My dilemma is that I'm going away over those 2 days. Do I: 1. Leave it and do it when I come back? Or 2. Just go crazy with the wine whip over a short period and move onto adding Potassium Sorbate & Fining Agent?

FYI My gravity level when I last checked 18 days ago was .994 (target <1.010). My target before degassing is .995

I'm inclined to just leave it and figure extra time will only make it better?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4774 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggabeats View Post
Hi, I'm just jumping on this forum asking for advise as I'm new to winemaking too. I have my 3rd wine on the go: Ken Ridge Classic Sav Blanc.

I'm due to rack my wine into a new carboy in two days for degassing. The instructions say to add the Potassium Metabisulphate and stir with a spoon (or shake). Stir wine several times over the next 2 days.

I have a wine whip, so stir with that. My dilemma is that I'm going away over those 2 days. Do I: 1. Leave it and do it when I come back? Or 2. Just go crazy with the wine whip over a short period and move onto adding Potassium Sorbate & Fining Agent?

FYI My gravity level when I last checked 18 days ago was .994 (target <1.010). My target before degassing is .995

I'm inclined to just leave it and figure extra time will only make it better?
Rack it, degas it with your whip, and then simply add your finings and top up (or whatever the instructions say at that point).

The reason they have you do it over two days is because stirring is an inefficient way to do it, and it takes forever! Use the wine whip, and be done with it.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
thebiggabeats
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replay! Do do I just give it 6 or 7 whips leaving a few minutes between?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggabeats View Post
Thanks for the quick replay! Do do I just give it 6 or 7 whips leaving a few minutes between?
I do that for a while, until it's not a volcano, and then whip it pretty steady until no gas come sout.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
Follow the directions. After you degass it is time to top off. It is best to top off with wine the same stile you are making.
I have a 6 gallon carboy. Do I top off all the way to the neck of the carboy? After I racked the wine, it only reached to right where the top of the carboy starts to curve. I would say there is probably half a gallon left to reach the neck.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
I have a 6 gallon carboy. Do I top off all the way to the neck of the carboy? After I racked the wine, it only reached to right where the top of the carboy starts to curve. I would say there is probably half a gallon left to reach the neck.
Yes, if you're doing a 6 gallon wine kit. It should go to within about 2 inches of the bung, or at least where the very narrow opening starts at the bottom of the neck of the carboy.

Quick Reply