The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New wine maker, question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
RedL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New wine maker, question

I am new to wine making and fear I might have already messed up my first batch. I mistakenly used too little sanitizer when preparing my new plastic fermenting bucket and utensils. The package of Easy Clean called for 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, but I misread it and used 1 teaspoon per gallon resulting in a mixture 1/3 the strength of what it should be. My Welches White Grape Peach wine has now been fermenting 36 hours and is moving right along, but I don't know if it is contaminated or not.

What should I be looking for here? If it was going to go bad as a result of my error, would it do it right off the bat? I would appreciate any input, thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I'd bet money that you have will have zero issues. If the bucket was clean (and as you said new) and you used just that little bit of sanitizer, there should be no problems.

And good choice with the white grape peach. That is by far my favorite welches flavor to do. You will really like it.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

And be sure you carb it up nice!!! Great recipe, just bottled a variant w/ half white grape peach and white cranberry peach.

Good luck!!!

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As they said don't worry sounds like you did fine. I too just bottled a w grape and peach from welchs juice. When I bottled it I back sweetened with one cup sugar for the five gallons then drew off four gallons and mixed a gallon of the w grape and peach juice and bottled. It has been a big hit. Nobody offered to drink the first gallon yet but I bet it is good as well. Good luck with your new hobby it is fun.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
dannycosta
Recipes 

I did the same kind if thing with my first batch of Chardonnay and it's come out fine. Just in the middle of making my second batch which is a strawberry wine fingers crossed this comes out just as good.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Heck, I never even measure the Easy Clean. I just dump some in until there is a bit of suds.

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Quick Reply