Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to the hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #21
nlkips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Not sure if I messed up the cab at this point. It is sitting in the carboy in the secondary fermentation stage for the past 5 days and nothing is going on. The same as if it was water in there. To give you and idea of what went on up to this point here is what happened up until now. The kit calls to be racked to the carboy at days 10-12. So from day 10-12 it was reading 1.000-1.010 and was suppose to be 1.000 or lower. Day 13 it was .999 so I racked it over. Also from day 10 and on it was just plain in the bucket with no reactions happening just as it is now in the secondary fermentation stage. I would guess that there would still be gasses produced while it is fermenting. According to the directions I wait until day 20-22 before I begin clearing and degassing once it reaches .998 or less. So is this normal for it to just sit there or did I mess something up by waiting a little longer before raking it over?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkips View Post
Not sure if I messed up the cab at this point. It is sitting in the carboy in the secondary fermentation stage for the past 5 days and nothing is going on. The same as if it was water in there. To give you and idea of what went on up to this point here is what happened up until now. The kit calls to be racked to the carboy at days 10-12. So from day 10-12 it was reading 1.000-1.010 and was suppose to be 1.000 or lower. Day 13 it was .999 so I racked it over. Also from day 10 and on it was just plain in the bucket with no reactions happening just as it is now in the secondary fermentation stage. I would guess that there would still be gasses produced while it is fermenting. According to the directions I wait until day 20-22 before I begin clearing and degassing once it reaches .998 or less. So is this normal for it to just sit there or did I mess something up by waiting a little longer before raking it over?
It's all good. At .999 don't expect your airlock to be popping like crazy, there isn't much sugar left, it's still fermenting and producing Co2 it's just really slow...not the mention there is still a ton of co2 dissolved in there that has to gas-out. Right now you are basically just waiting for the wine to degass and the particles to fall out of suspension.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
nlkips
Recipes 

Ok thats good to hear. I just haven't seen any activity or a bubble on the wine so I was a little nervous. If it continues this way I can assume degassing will be a breeze or am I wrong?

Thanks again everyone for all the help as I get my feet wet. Talked the lady into a niagara mist kit to buy the riesling some time to age. Also put on a selection original series barolo a couple nights ago and the mist kit will be going on tonight. This will be it for a while as I'm running out of space and already short on cork bottles.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts

Yup, you are going to see the gas as you de-gas, its in there! Just know you are on the right track, and remember that folks have been doing this for thousands of years! :-)

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #25
nlkips
Recipes 

Ahhh now the barolo is overflowing out the bucket. Cleaned it up and removed the heat belt. Is there anything I should do or just leave it be?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkips View Post
Ahhh now the barolo is overflowing out the bucket. Cleaned it up and removed the heat belt. Is there anything I should do or just leave it be?
Just leave it. Barolo is one of my favorite wines, let me know how the kit turns out.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
nlkips
Recipes 

Will do. My dad has a couple kits he did in the past and whenever I make it home each year I always snag a few. Got one in my wine rack right now that he bottled in Jan 09. It's absolutely amazing along with all his other wines.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
nlkips
Recipes 

So it's time to add some stuff to the Riesling and degas it. I had a broken spoon and some zap straps and figured I would enlarge the hole in the end and put 2 straps through for degassing and I think it turned out well. Here is what it looked like after the first minute of whipping it back and forth a couple times

image-4244840368.jpg   image-2040604810.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts

Be careful not to ADD oxygen while removing the CO2!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
nlkips
Recipes 

Didn't seem to be any issues and I believe it degassed after doing this for a couple hours as a balloon I placed over the top eventually stopped inflating. Todays work will be making a trolly for moving the carboys around instead of relying on the handle.

Quick Reply