Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to the hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Huds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkips
So I popped and left both lids loose after i stirred the cab the other night. Last night the cab had a nice layer of foam over the top and I could here a lot of gas exchange. Gave it a nice gentle stirring for a couple minutes and place the cover loosely back on top. Decide to have a peak at the riesling and it there isn't as much activity inside, but I can hear some gas exchange going on so I'm guessing things are going well with both. I'm not going to bother cutting a hole in the other lid for an airlock since there doesnt seem to be a point to ruining that lid for no reason. I've got 3 carboys in the basement so I'm good for when I transfer over after the fermenting stage.

Just curious on the fermenting stage with yeast. If it takes longer to ferment will that improve the quality of the wine or is that something I shouldn't fool around with as I'm inexperienced at this point and should just get used to making what will hopefully be a good wine?

Thanks again for the help
Put the Riesling in the cellar and check the gravity in 2 weeks. Because of the lower fermentation temps the lag phase will be longer. Leave the lid loose or swap it out with the lid that came with the airlock. You do not want to expose the white to any oxygen. Red wine has anthocynins which are antioxidants and help protect it from oxidation. Your white does not so you must treat it very delicately. Lower fermentation temps will result in the retention of fruity esters that are produced by the yeast during fermentation. The cooler the temp the more retention however too cold will result in a slow and possibly stuck fermentation. 55 is great for most wht wine yeasts. After you check you whet in two weeks it should be around 10 Brit bailing. Leave it for a week more then move to a warmer area maybe 60-65f to ensure the wine finishes. Once it's dry (-0.5 Brit or more) hit it with 40 ppm KMBS which should leave you with ~25 ppm or so free SO2.

Cold/heat stab it and your bottling in June.

Good luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
nlkips
Recipes 

I will give that a shot on the next kit of riesling or whatever white we pick up. I have kept it up next to the cab to keep the temps close to what is in the instructions so with 2-3 days before the transfer to the carboy I'm just going to keep it there.

Also, I'm not sure what a Brit is for a measurement and I'm assuming the 40 ppm KMBS is the 4g pack of potassium metabisulphite. It has been awhile since I've had to think about highschool chemistry. I'll also see if I can find some info on the cold/heat stab it method you mentioned.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Huds
Recipes 

Quote:
I will give that a shot on the next kit of riesling or whatever white we pick up. I have kept it up next to the cab to keep the temps close to what is in the instructions so with 2-3 days before the transfer to the carboy I'm just going to keep it there.

Also, I'm not sure what a Brit is for a measurement and I'm assuming the 40 ppm KMBS is the 4g pack of potassium metabisulphite. It has been awhile since I've had to think about highschool chemistry. I'll also see if I can find some info on the cold/heat stab it method you mentioned.
Sorry I meant BRIX. Stupid iPad spell check usually gets the best of me. As far as temps, fermenting a white at a reasonably high temperature sure will make wine which I'm sure is the goal of the kit makers. Next kit you get ferment it down in your cellar you'll be very happy with the result. Not sure what yeast they gave you I've actually never made wine from one of those kits but you should use something like vin 13 made by anchor yeast. I used to make wine for a living now I'm a wine consultant for some small to mid size wineries in California. Sorry for the acronyms there just a habit. KMBS is potassium meta bisulfate and for a wine with a pH <3.85 you want around 30 parts per million. That will inhibit any kind of bacterial activity that can turn your kit into vinegar.

Cold and heat stability is extremely important on a commercial standpoint. However I'm sure you won't mind a bit of cloudiness in your finished wine. To get rid of unstable proteins in your wine you can use bentonite clay for heat stability and cream of tartar for cold stability. Both products do not strip wine of delicate favors like other more aggressive fining agents.

Check out this website vinoenology.com it is a great resource when making adjustments to your wine.

Good luck

Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
nlkips
Recipes 

Haha no worries and the acronyms is just something else I'll learn as my experience grows. Great advice and I will check out that site.

This kit is some what in a rush or I should say recommended time from the kit maker so the lady can start drinking this instead of retail bottles at $15-20 each. When its bottled I can start playing around with the next kit or two.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Huds
Recipes 

Quote:
Haha no worries and the acronyms is just something else I'll learn as my experience grows. Great advice and I will check out that site.

This kit is some what in a rush or I should say recommended time from the kit maker so the lady can start drinking this instead of retail bottles at $15-20 each. When its bottled I can start playing around with the next kit or two.
I see I see.

Get that stuff in the bottle

Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
nlkips
Recipes 

Your telling me. One thing I'm going to look into doing is carbonating a white and having it on tap for the summer months

Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
nlkips
Recipes 

So checked the sg and it was 1.000 so I transferred it over to the carboy and it is smelling great. A couple more days and the red should be ready to get transferred over and I might grab another kit since I got one carboy left to use and all my buckets are freed up. I'm pretty pumped and looking forward to these finishing up for a quick sample when bottling and then waiting a couple months as they age. A monster might have been created

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lol, that's how it starts! You suddenly realize:

A- hey, this tastes good!

B- hey, that was pretty easy!

;-)

Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer
Lol, that's how it starts! You suddenly realize:

A- hey, this tastes good!

B- hey, that was pretty easy!

;-)
C- hey, I'm obsessed and this is all I think about!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
nlkips
Recipes 

Yeah all of the above

Definitely one of the best hobbies I've had so far. Should get better in a couple months when I get to enjoy the later part of it

Quick Reply