Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to everything, harvest, crush, fermet...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
thetmaxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New to everything, harvest, crush, fermet...

Ok, so i've read a bit, and it has lead to a ton of questions, but I'll just ask a few... long time beer brewer, first time (hopefully) wine maker. I have some grapes growing on my back fence, from the nieghbors. they are small, green variety of grape. they have been sour, but recently have sweetened, and from years past i know they will be gone shortly due to criters and drying out like raisins.

WHen should I pick them?

I assume green grapes make white wine? SO do I use the natural yeast on the skin or pitch?

How many pounds of grapes will make a gallon of wine?

From there I think I can figure out how to make this stuff in to wine, but any further tips/suggestions are welcome, including links!!

2011: 95 Gallons
2012: 100 Gallons
2013: 10 Gallons
Fermenting: Cream Ale, Smoked Chipotle Porter, Flanders Brown
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Oaked RIS, IPA, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Black IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof4age View Post
Begin pumping with the tip half in, half out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetmaxx
Ok, so i've read a bit, and it has lead to a ton of questions, but I'll just ask a few... long time beer brewer, first time (hopefully) wine maker. I have some grapes growing on my back fence, from the nieghbors. they are small, green variety of grape. they have been sour, but recently have sweetened, and from years past i know they will be gone shortly due to criters and drying out like raisins.

WHen should I pick them?

I assume green grapes make white wine? SO do I use the natural yeast on the skin or pitch?

How many pounds of grapes will make a gallon of wine?

From there I think I can figure out how to make this stuff in to wine, but any further tips/suggestions are welcome, including links!!
I am not a vintner but I'd pick them in bunches before any animals get to them. Make sure they are sweet when you pick them.

You'll need 10-12 lbs for a gallon, so a scale will be useful.

Depending on the volume you get, you could crush the grapes by hand to juice them or rent a crusher.

You could use the wild yeast, but it will dictate the quality of your wine. I would spend a buck and buy a package of wine yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply