Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to corking wine bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
brazedowl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think I need to save a template of "bottle corking responses" so I can just paste it in every time this pops up.

a) as mentioned above the twisty offs are NOT designed for corks and can be prone to breaking. That being said I've never broken one and always end up using a few during each batch. I'm currently phasing them out though just to be safe. I have never used a different sized cork for them.

b) for gazillions of free bottles I recommend going to carabas or some other "fancy" Italian restaurant where you know they're serving wine. Ask to go through their recycling bin on Sunday morning. You'll have enough for several 5 gallon batches. bring gloves though... there will be broken glass and food nasties all over.

c) I always hate cracking open a bottle of wine if I don't plan to drink it all. And sometimes I'm just not in the mood for that much wine. So I do about half of each batch in beer bottles with crown caps for little single-serving brews. This also allows me to send out sampler 6packs with my friends rather then just one or two bottles. Not to mention that as far as cost goes caps are WAY cheaper each. You can even cap some types of sparking later bottles and many types of champagne bottles.

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Re: dumpster diving, wouldn't it just be easier to ask a manager if they'll save a bunch of bottles for you? I assume they have to pay for waste/recycling, and anything that doesn't make it into their waste stream is something they don't have to pay for.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most will, sometimes they will not though if people have been "no shows" in the past. One bar knows I show up every sunday without fail and they still won't set any aside because of a home brewer before that got them to save a few hundred and never showed.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Quick Reply