Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New to corking wine bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
jhanso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to corking wine bottles

I bought my first wine making kit, started my first batch of merlot and am currently in the process of saving wine bottles for the bottling stage. My question is - can I cork any type of wine bottle including twist off cap bottles?

Any other corking or first time tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

You can, but the twist off ones can break at the top if you're using a hand corker. The glass is thinner around the rim on twist offs, and the pressure from a handcorker can break them. I would just avoid twist offs, unless you have a floor corker than won't break them. (And even then I'd be inclined to avoid them, just in case).

Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Also with twist offs the opening is slightly larger than a standard bottle so you would want to go with a # 9 cork.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You can, but the twist off ones can break at the top if you're using a hand corker. The glass is thinner around the rim on twist offs, and the pressure from a handcorker can break them. I would just avoid twist offs, unless you have a floor corker than won't break them. (And even then I'd be inclined to avoid them, just in case).
Solid advice. Broken glass is never fun, and why risk that hard work to break a bottle and end it up on the floor.

Bottles are free so just toss the twists away.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
SteveHoward
Recipes 

FWIW, I used a couple of screw top wine bottles when I was running low and needed "one more bottle" to finish what I was bottling. I wanted to see what would happen with the screwtops anyway. It worked with my hand corker. That's not to say that Yooper's advice isn't sound - she is much more experienced than I, but FWIW, it worked for me.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

every bottle is different, and it isn't worth stitches

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post
Also with twist offs the opening is slightly larger than a standard bottle so you would want to go with a # 9 cork.
Yeah, check things out beforehand. I had several bottles all ready to go only to find one bottle (non-twist cap) was too small for corks I was using, had to scramble to find and clean another one.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
SteveHoward
Recipes 

Disclaimer: I'm not advising anyone with this discussion - just discussing what I've done and what it might mean.

With that disclosure, I'm not really sure where stitches might come in on this. I can see it possibly cracking or breaking the edges. However, the process I use with the hand corker seems like quite a gentle process. There is no jerking, and surprisingly (when I first used the corker) is that the constricting spring doesn't really need the lip to work. It's really just gentle pressure on the top, and I use a slow and gentle downward motion. When I first tried, I noticed that the plunger didn't center on the corks, but if I started with a little downward pressure, then let the pressure off just a bit, the cork would adjust and the plunger would center when I began the downward pressure again.

It goes in pretty smoothly. I suppose it is possible to break the upper edge of the lip with the downward pressure (since the constrictor spring doesn't really hold it in place, it must be the downward pressure I'm applying), but again, the pressure used is pretty gentle. There is also pressure on the lip when using the corkscrew to remove the cork.

There is no denying that the screw-tops are thinner at the very top than the other wine/champagne bottles, so there would be a greater hazard for breaking the lip than with the normal wine bottles. They don't seem to be any thinner after you get past the threads. Defining how great the hazard is a good discussion. There's little reason to actually do it as is pointed out, but how big is the actual hazard? hmm ... I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Repeating my disclaimer: I'm not advising anyone with this post, but just discussing what I did and what I think as doing it.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never used a hand corker on wine bottles, so I don't know what that's like. I have a floor corker, and I always use #9 corks in all of my wine bottles. I have used the screw top bottles before in a pinch without problems, but I don't find them to be aesthetically pleasing so now that I have plenty of regular bottles, I just toss them.

The only time I've ever broken a wine bottle was when one slipped out of my hand as I was picking it off the bottle tree.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward View Post
With that disclosure, I'm not really sure where stitches might come in on this.
Some of those twist bottle necks are very weak, and you could easily cut yourself if you break a bottle unexpectedly. Just something to consider.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply