A NEW Apfelwien question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
Well, maybe not completely new, but I couldn't find a reference to this topic, so I just thought I would ask...

I only have 5 plastic barrel fermenters and 2 glass demijohns, so as you can imagine, I run out of fermenting space, especially if I am making a lager or two, and want to keep a barrel free for a bottling bucket..

I also have 2 x 22 gallon barrel fermenters that I have never used. I am considering doing a 20 gallon batch of Lager, and a 20 gallon batch of Apfelwein, both of which can age as long as I like without taking up my other fermenters.

Questions:

Has anyone else tried a batch of Apfelwein this large?
Other than the fact that it will weigh 170 lbs and be impossible for me to move on my own, other than sliding it on the floor, does anyone see an issue with such a big batch?
Obviously, I need to quadruple my Dextrose, but will I need to quadruple my yeast as well? I Currently use 11 grams per 5.5 gallon batch.
And last but not least, how many brain splitting headaches do you think would be contained in one fermenter?

You could triple the yeast, and add enough nutrient for 10 gallons. I suspect the consensus will be to add enough yeast for the whole 20 gallons, but yeast DOES divide.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sounds interesting. Whatever you do, make sure both fermenters are put at a height where you can siphon the contents out

Just a guess but with this volume you are kegging right? :D

No, I just have a long straw and drink it from the fermenter :fro:

Seriously though, I keep running out and I do 2 brews (11.5 gallons) at a time, and then forget to start more for 3-5 weeks and I run out. NEVER AGAIN!

Best part is that if I don't have kegs free, I can just leave it sit.

Hey Ed, what do you reckon if I have 75 litres of it aged and ready to keg, that I can just siphon off 19 litres at a time as I need it, thus only using 1 keg, but having an endless supply?

Make sure you plug your tub up because when that board breaks and your fermenters start gushing Apfelwein into the bathtub you're gonna want to be the first man to bath in Apfelwein! :mug:

Only 20 gallons? Wuss :D

apfelweintruck.jpg

Make sure you plug your tub up because when that board breaks and your fermenters start gushing Apfelwein into the bathtub you're gonna want to be the first man to bath in Apfelwein! :mug:

Probably not the best idea seeing as it is live :fro:

if I have 75 litres of it aged and ready to keg, that I can just siphon off 19 litres at a time as I need it, thus only using 1 keg, but having an endless supply?

To have an endless supply you'd need to restart the process before you are on that last keg... 75 Litres is only 4 kegs, you could look for some of those collapseable water containers campers use... Something similar to what this company sells... I'm sure you can get a US made supply...

Sounds interesting. Whatever you do, make sure both fermenters are put at a height where you can siphon the contents out

I 'siphon' very nicely uphill into a carboy. I use a power suction unit that costs about $200, and a universal 2-hole carboy cap.
It works like a champ, with variable suction and excellent control.
Put your BIG fermenterction units safely where you want, and siphon out of them.

Siphon unit: http://www.specialty-medical.com/HCS7000.html

Carboy cap : http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=14604

Back