Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Negative ABV from a wine kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
DarthBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Negative ABV from a wine kit?

I just finished a Spagnols wine kit and ready to bottle. The starting and final OG I'm showing match the expected gravity shown in the kit directions. Although when I calculate the ABV I'm getting an answer of -4 ABV.

I would think I did something wrong if the gravities didn't match what was in the directions. Is there a different calculation for ABV of wine as opposed to beer?

OG 0.999
FG 1.030

*Edit* I just figured it out. I had the wrong # under OG. Should be OG 1.060, Secondary 0.999, FG 1.030

I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with alcohol than Kay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got u figured at around 4% not -4%. got your gravities posted wrong though og=original gravity fg=final gravity. there are tons of abv formula one is og-fg x .129.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Uh, I'm confused about these numbers. It looks like you have something wrong in there. I don't know how you can go back up unless you add more sugars.

Kind of a strange curve, unless I'm missing something.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Dicky
Recipes 

Did you sweeten the wine post fermentaion?

Dicky

Quick Reply