Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need some help....New WineMaker!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #21
tc08096
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

OK...Here is an update on my Cabernet from a kit...My 1st wine making experience! I am just about 5 days in, there are some suds on the top of my wine in the 5 gallon carboy, my water lock is sending bubbles through about every 2-3 seconds, the room that my carboy is in is a little smelley :-) I just took a hydrometer reading and its at about 1.050.....It started at 1.070. I tasted it and it had a strange taste, a little carbonated but didnt taste much like wine???? Obviously I am only 5 days in so it wont be much of wine but can anyone tell me if you think I am on my way or am I on my way to pickle juice......Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #22
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry if I was you- the beginning of fermentation is quite different than the end product! At first it is stinky and a bit funky, but after it goes for about 3 more weeks it will be much better- more like wine but still "hot" tasting.. that is why most wines need to be aged.
I have only been making wine for about 4 months now but as a nooby I can totally understand your point of view! Just relax and forget it for a few weeks and you should be fine.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #23
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
My friend makes those Island Mist kits all the time. While she hasn't made that one (that I know of), she's made the Mango citrus symphony several times, and the Kiwi Pear something. I think there was an Apple something, too.

They all came out great! They are not to my taste, but they are great for what they are. She has a pool, and many friends sit around the pool sipping these "wine coolers". I've tried all the ones she's made and I would say they are very good.

Those instructions aren't bad, so you can follow them and be assured of good results. Add the F-pack (or whatever it's called) at the end when they tell you to, and then you'll be all set.
Yeah. I know its a bit "girly" (cough cough) but at least its a fairly palateable cheap buzz. Just want to get the method down before I attempt a real wine. I'd hate to think that the wine sucks when the process is what's screwing up the flavor. Like I said, its a good start.

Quick Reply