Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > In need of SERIOUS help! EXPERTS NEEDED!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
lou52onu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I appreciate you asking! I contemplated updating the thread but didn't want to drag this out any further.

The wine doesn't taste foul but it is pretty tart/sour. I'm hoping that the tartness isn't due to contamination. Any suggestion on how to tell if it's contamination or not and if the wine is still good how can I sweet it to make the wine more well rounded on the pallet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sour/tart is one of those things that tends to age out as it sits under an airlock... In general, there are 2 things that can cause it...

1. Carbonation -- this adds a ton of acid (Carbonic acid) Aging under an airlock in a very cool place like an unheated basement will drive most of this out... You will see the air lock busy where everything had pretty well stopped... Just residual carbonation working its way out. Degassing will speed this up.... Think of the flavor of Soda-water here....

2. Malic acid -- This adds a sour green appley taste... It also works its way out thru Malo-lactic fermentation.

My guess is that you have #1 -- and it just needs to sit in a cool place under an airlock for a while... or degas it. (My muscadine wine finally degassed enough, and the taste completely changed from sour/bitter to Wine... 4 months later)

Thanks

John

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
lou52onu
Recipes 

Well there's hope then!

So now I have two more questions:
1) are any chemicals needed (e.g. met-K, etc.)

and

2) I fractioned the wine into 5 gallon cubitianers. I chose these because they were relatively cheap and I wouldn't have to worry about the wine staining my fermentors or making my glass carboys unusable while the wine was in them. I also liked them b/c you can eliminate all of the head space because they are flexible and you can massage out any air bubbles. Do I still need airlocks on these b/c of its de-gassing?

Thanks again for all of you help I really do appreciate it.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou52onu View Post
Well there's hope then!

So now I have two more questions:
1) are any chemicals needed (e.g. met-K, etc.)

and

2) I fractioned the wine into 5 gallon cubitianers. I chose these because they were relatively cheap and I wouldn't have to worry about the wine staining my fermentors or making my glass carboys unusable while the wine was in them. I also liked them b/c you can eliminate all of the head space because they are flexible and you can massage out any air bubbles. Do I still need airlocks on these b/c of its de-gassing?

Thanks again for all of you help I really do appreciate it.
Just how much wine do you have?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
lou52onu
Recipes 

I think I have 5 - 5g containers worth of this stuff so ~20g

Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yes.. You need some way for the gas to escape... While Polyethylene is somewhat gas permeable... It's not permeable enough to degas within any reasonable amount of time.... (You are looking for weeks/months, not years...)

Those containers also hold some residual pressure.. which will be enough to keep that CO2 in suspension... and leaving it tasting bitter/sour.

It needs an airlock to let that gas back out... I wouldn't stick air locks in those flexible containers... or you might end up with a wine all over the floor as they deflate...

On Sulphite (Campden, K-meta..) -- the old rule is to add sulphite every 2nd racking... With wild yeast, it is far less sulphite tolerant than "Store" yeast... so the amount of sulphite that would preserve and stop infections in normal wine will stop wild yeast in their tracks... Of course, it may not matter much now that you are 3-4 months down the road... It also helps slow down oxidation.... Personally, I would add some.. if only to keep infections from happening.

Hope all goes well.

John

Quick Reply