The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need resources for starting winemaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
SnidelyWhiplash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

bump. do people make great wines with kits from homebrew stores? or do anything to make it better?

I saw northern brewer has a wine making for homebrewers kit with the extra stuff you need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash
bump. do people make great wines with kits from homebrew stores? or do anything to make it better?

I saw northern brewer has a wine making for homebrewers kit with the extra stuff you need.
I think you are referring to a starter kit, includes a primary fermenter, carboy, racking hoses.

Then there is a wine kit that has the juice concentrate and other ingredients. I've done a few of the lower dollar kits. I've enjoyed the whites I've made. For the reds, I cut back on the water addition and made it 5 gallons for more body.

The higher dollar kits come with more juice, you don't need to add as much water. These kits made a better red wine.

This time of year, there should be fresh juice available. Fresh juice is how I've made most of my wines, the best so far.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Going to jump in on this post.

I recently have been thinking about jumping into the wine scene as well. I made a kit of Pinot Grigio from Vina del Vida and it turned out pretty damn strong! 15.7% to be exact! Higher then your normal Pinot Grigio! Didn't make any additions or changes from what the recipe called for. Anyways, that is taking up room and aging in my kegerator right now at 41*F. I started my second batch of wine making 5 gallons of Apfelwein somewhat following EdWort's recipe, I used dark brown sugar instead of corn sugar. That has been in the primary for about a month now, not sure whether to secondary it or just going right to bottling, seems pretty clear. Any thoughts?

Now I am looking into making real fresh fruit wines and saw the link to the Jack Keller website. Are his recipes set to produce 1 gallon batches? If so, what is the best "kit" out there to get started with 1 gallon batches? I came across a kit atNorthern Brewer for pretty cheap, but not sure if it's everything I need. Also, 1 gallon of wine makes 5 750ml bottles?!?! The math says that but it doesn't seem like that! Guess looks can be deceiving. Is it worth it to do just 5 bottles at a time? Seems it would have it's Pro's and Con's. Pros: You get to experiment more often with different batches. Cons: You are making batches for only 5 bottles! Waiting a year for just a gallon of wine!!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Chris, let me refer you to The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey. All her recipes are for 1 gallon batches. There's everything you could want for learning.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

springmom - Thank you for the referral. I will add that to my book list. Question for you, do you make only 1 gallon batches or do you make at least 3 gallons?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #16
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
springmom - Thank you for the referral. I will add that to my book list. Question for you, do you make only 1 gallon batches or do you make at least 3 gallons?
If you want the book, you can have mine. PM me your address and ill send it to you.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sent. Thank you.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #18
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I make one- and five-gallon batches. Easier to find places to stick one gallon carboys :-D

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Jivetyrant
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quick Reply