Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need parts list to put together a Vacuum degasser setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Nitrousbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need parts list to put together a Vacuum degasser setup

Wife and I have been making kits wines for about a year now, currently on our 4th and 5th batches. All have been decent, our 3rd finished batch being the best so far.

I currently degass using a drill mounted paddle and have had mixed results. Wife wants wine making goodies for Christmas or her Birthday (I have a very expensive December).

It looks like the Schuco 130 vacuum pump is one of the common pumps used to do this. Any other pump suggestions (will be a used eBay purchase).

What other items will I need? Tubing (size/how much?). I assume I will need a couple of carboy caps, like this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/revie.../category/192/

I am guessing I will also need a racking cane as well (I think I have a spare one laying around).

What else will I need? I assume some type of pressure regulator. What kind of glass jar/fitting is needed at the pump side? Can you bottle with these pumps as well?

I know these is the Wineeasy Degassing Pump kit but it looks pricey and still appears to need more items. I'd rather put together a better kit myself for less cash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I personally love the All in One Wine Pump because I can independently rack, degas, filter and bottle. Steve can instruct/provide you with the necassies to degas and bottle. ---
www.allinonewinepump.com. And I can assure you that your wife would love it!!

But here is a good overview of degassing, and do not forget you can watch videos of the whole process on YouTube. http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/...cuum-wine-kits

If you use BetterBottle-type carboys you must have some glass carboys, because you cannot work from non-glass carboys with a vacuum.

...Sara

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply