Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need help with wine planning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
TheShadowfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Oh yes, I forgot. I removed the pulp today by lifting the nylon bags and rolling it around to drain the liquid without squeezing. I got a lot, but it's still a lot of liquid and I'm afraid that adding 4 gallons of spring water to the fruit was just too much water. This is my first major all fruit wine so I'm a little nervous. I've made mead, juice wines, many simple things like that but it was always easy to determine the final quantity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

So how much liquid did you end up with?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

9 gallons at this time. But I am sure I will end up with less after a good settling and racking.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #24
novalou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowfox
9 gallons at this time. But I am sure I will end up with less after a good settling and racking.
You'll end up with 8.5 or so. I would have added leas water, but if you added enough sugar, you'll have a light body wine.

Next time, don't add more than 1/2 gallon of water per 10 lbs of fruit. If you need to cut down on acid later, then you can add some more water.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #25
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
You'll end up with 8.5 or so. I would have added leas water, but if you added enough sugar, you'll have a light body wine.

Next time, don't add more than 1/2 gallon of water per 10 lbs of fruit. If you need to cut down on acid later, then you can add some more water.
You see, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for when I was making this recipe. I really appreciate you letting me know.

I think what I'll do is just add some more grapes here soon. No light body for me, I'm going for full. Any suggestions on how much?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
novalou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowfox

You see, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for when I was making this recipe. I really appreciate you letting me know.

I think what I'll do is just add some more grapes here soon. No light body for me, I'm going for full. Any suggestions on how much?
If it's still fermenting, I would add 2lbs more per gallon. If fermentation is done, add 1lb of chopped raisins per gallon.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
If it's still fermenting, I would add 2lbs more per gallon. If fermentation is done, add 1lb of chopped raisins per gallon.
Excellent, it shall be done then. Since I now have a whole lot of wine, I think I will halve it into a dry and a sweet version.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowfox View Post
Oh yes, I forgot. I removed the pulp today by lifting the nylon bags and rolling it around to drain the liquid without squeezing. I got a lot, but it's still a lot of liquid and I'm afraid that adding 4 gallons of spring water to the fruit was just too much water. This is my first major all fruit wine so I'm a little nervous. I've made mead, juice wines, many simple things like that but it was always easy to determine the final quantity.
Why did you not squeeze? Next time, squeeze the heck out of the fruit. A press presses the fruit (squeezes it) so that the pulp left is almost dry. You want ALL of the fruit juice out of the fruit, so squeeze it like it owes you money!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #29
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Why did you not squeeze? Next time, squeeze the heck out of the fruit. A press presses the fruit (squeezes it) so that the pulp left is almost dry. You want ALL of the fruit juice out of the fruit, so squeeze it like it owes you money!
Lol, you got it Yooper. I was told that if you squeeze it then you'll make it far more difficult to clear it or something like that.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are some fruits that you do not press hard. Things like peaches, bananas, even pears, some apples (think suspended jelly bag, dripping away). You learn what they are as you work with them or others share their experience. Usually these fruits have broken down into mush and you will just express fruit pulp and pectin into your wine if you go all out. This can make it more challenging to clear your wine. An independent choice, hard press versus a light, gentle one.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply