Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need help with wine planning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
TheShadowfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just to be clear, I use two campden tablets to sanitize the outside skins of the berries before rinsing and then freezing, I will also put campden in before I put in the yeast. I have never had a wine go bad before, and I like keeping it that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok everyone, I have adjusted my recipe. Please feel free to tweak and send it back to me with suggestions.

9.8 lb wild Muscadine grape
9 lb black seedless grape
3 lb seedless red grape
7.? lb wild blackberry
3 lb store bought blackberry
5 gallons spring water

Yeast: Either Lavlin EC-1118 or Red Star "Pasteur Champagne" (these are the only two I have available and I do not really know the difference in taste change)

All fruit has been sanitized with campden, rinsed, then frozen. I this recipe looks ok I will crush the fruit, place into a nylon bag, and add into my must with 5 campden tabs prior to pitching the yeast. Yooper, you mentioned that it may be too tart, and I was afraid of that. The grapes I bought are just a bunch of sweet fermentables to add to the body without having to worry about any more acetic acid.

Thoughts?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Are you planning on adding all 5 gallons of water? If so, you'll need about 2 lbs of sugar per gallon of water. Double check your SG as you add sugar to get to 1.090 or so.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
Are you planning on adding all 5 gallons of water? If so, you'll need about 2 lbs of sugar per gallon of water. Double check your SG as you add sugar to get to 1.090 or so.
I think what I will have to do is add the rest of the water later. I'm rather cheap so I have to use a food grade bucket that is precisely at a 5 gallon capacity. Plus, with all that fruit it will take up a lot of space. So I will need to add the water over the fruit to determine that.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowfox View Post
I think what I will have to do is add the rest of the water later. I'm rather cheap so I have to use a food grade bucket that is precisely at a 5 gallon capacity. Plus, with all that fruit it will take up a lot of space. So I will need to add the water over the fruit to determine that.
I crushed all the fruit last night. It filled an entire 5 gallon bucket. I eventually split it up into two 5 gallon buckets with nylon bags and a total of 4 gallons of water and 4 campden tablets in each one. I may end up splitting those into a third bucket to leave more room in each for fermentation and another gallon of water.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much campden for 30 pounds of frozen muscadines? I did not crush them before freezing. They are now thawing....

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyk View Post
How much campden for 30 pounds of frozen muscadines? I did not crush them before freezing. They are now thawing....
I don't think it matters how much the weight is, the general rule is to use 1 tab per gallon of substances to be fermented. When you crush them, add it to your containers and add accordingly then let sit for 24 hours.

That's a lot of wild grape, let me know how it goes. Are they nice and sugary without too much sour/tart (ascorbic acid)? If so then great, if not then you might want to do what I did and dilute it with a bunch of black sweet grapes.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyk View Post
It has to do with the "free" sulfites your campden addition provides. There is, technically, a measurement behind it. (heavy on the "technically") But for your purposes, it is a matter of the ratio of sulfites to volume. Just go by the recommended dose on the campden bottle.

If you initially add sulfites just to the crushed grapes & berries and do not add all the water, the percentage sulfites will be higher and work better against undesirable organisms and wild yeasts present at that time. This would be adding the sulfite amount that you expect to use for your eventual *total* volume (with water and all).

Then after you add your water, you will have diluted the sulfite to its intended "regular" level.

Even though you've added it once, you may eventually have to re-figure and re-add more sulfite. This addition would further protect your wine and continues to prevent infection and oxidization that might take hold from future rackings and also in the bottle.
In any case, those further sulfite additions are generally best done after fermentation is completed.

edit: I see now that you already added the water. Not a problem but make sure your sulfites are appropriate for the total volume.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It seems that the wine in its current state is around 9 gallons. Did I add too much water to an already watery fruit? Or will there be around 4 gallons of sediment? I need a fix for this if anyone has one.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowfox
It seems that the wine in its current state is around 9 gallons. Did I add too much water to an already watery fruit? Or will there be around 4 gallons of sediment? I need a fix for this if anyone has one.
Not sure what your issue is.

Have you already strained and pressed the fruit pulp?

Quick Reply