Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Need good idea (recipe) for first ever wine batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
dash14251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need good idea (recipe) for first ever wine batch

the thing is all i have is Red Star Montrachet yeast and my lhbs is not local, its like an hour away.

what i need is suggestions for my first batch of wine that i can use montrachet with. i was thinking one of those blackberry jam recipes or just a concord grape juice wine. maybe like cranberry or something like that. it just seems like most of the 'quick and easy' recipes dont call for montrachet yeast.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

You might find these useful: winemaking: winemaking recipes and: Wine - Home Brew Forums There are probably at least a couple of recipes at either site that will be to your liking. Regards, GF.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

What flavors do you like? Go to Wal Mart and buy some juice that you like, either concentrate or in bottles, or even cans. Jam and jelly is ok too but kinda expensive and needs a liberal dose of pectic enzyme to break down the pectins. Just be sure that there are no preservatives (ascorbic acid or Vitamin C is ok). Some people really like wines made from Juicy Juice. Some people (me included) don't like wines made from Welch's Concord grape juice but the white grape juice can be good when used in conjunction with other fruits and juices. Add some sugar and your yeast and in a few months you'll have wine. Of course it's a little more complicated than this - you'll need a hydrometer and a fermentation vessel with a stopper and air lock. Check out Jack Keller's website to get you started with techniques and recipes.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am really happy with the concord wine I made from store bought juice, at only two months it isn't bad, it will be awesome in six. I used yoopers recipe as a basis but watered it down a little and added corn sugar instead of cane, I bet this made it drinkable sooner. This recipe is good if you want a red wine, "traditional" style...

If you like dry ciders you should make Apfelwein, it uses montrachet and is probably the best wine I have made. It tastes like champagne at 2 months then keeps on getting better and more "appley."

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Quick Reply