Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > My wine wont clear.. what can i do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
199q
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Sticking to no boil. I have read that article before though, thanks for bringing it up for those that have not seen it. In the end it gets down to preference, but I enjoy the body of my meads and prefer to have the stronger aromatics.
the only mead I have made is JAO, and that is still fermenting right now. so my mead knowledge is pretty low. ill take your word for it.

/hyjack

for cold temp clearing I would go with fridge temps, low 40's to no colder than 35deg. 50-60 is too warm. ( I know because my house is at 59 during the day and 50-53 at night. College student, rather spend my money on making wine than running the heater! )

anyway that didn't really help it to clear at all. I did an experiment. I have two batches going right now of strawberry, same yeast same recipe. one went in the fridge one in the closet. Its only been a week, but wow there is a huge difference. the one in the fridge has more dropped lees too.

for one gallon country batches I am too cheap to use clarifiers. I usually just wait the wine out. Plus it needs the aging anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If refrigeration does not throw the wine clear then fine with your choice of:
gelatin,
Polyclar,
Sparkloid,
Bentonite,
egg white

information about using these finning agents is readily available via google search.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
199q
Recipes 

I have used all of those except the egg whites. I would not recommend the bentonite, its better added pre-fermentation.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
vintnerwannabe
Recipes 

keep racking... you can't expect it to clear after the first racking. if after the third rack, it still doesn't clear, then you can use wine finings.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well i put the 3 1-gallon jugs of pear wine, 1 gal red grape wine, 1 gal white grape wine, and 1 gal gooseberry wine i made early summer into my front room which isnt heated and near the 35 degree mark. I let them set there for 3 weeks. During that 3 weeks all the wines cleared up except the pear. It is still as cloudy as it has been since I made it. So I took one of the jugs out of the front room and added more pectic enzyme. Hopefully it will clear it up in a few days.

So to date I have tried:

Pectic Enzyme
Crash Cooling
Isinglas

Not sure what ill do next if it dont clear. I sampled it a couple days ago and it was great. I just gotta wait till it clears so I can bottle it.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
I made a 5 gallon batch of pear wine (took hours to peel those damn things) on 8/28/08 - Now its pretty much done, but it wont clear up. it has been cloudy forever and im not sure what to do to clear it up so i can bottle it. I racked it off the lees and got 3 1-gallon jugs from the original 5 gallon batch.

About 4 days ago i put isenglas in the jugs in an attempt to clear it up but it doesnt look like it has started to do anything yet.. any ideas?
Are you sure it is done?

If you are sure, then plain old cold crashing and time should do the trick.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I like sparkelloid better than isinglass for clearing fruit wines. Give that a try if the cold storage doesn't work!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Junbao
Recipes 

Is my pear wine clearing or not? Help!

I have a 3 gallon batch in glass secondary, and a pint Ball jar for topping off. Wine is 7 weeks old, and is still dropping a little sediment. I used Jacks recipe, and used Pectin enzyme in the primary.

Now, in the Ball jar, i see a crystal clear (except for a substantial golden hue) 1" layer on top. Does this mean the clearing is stuck or just getting started? that 1" layer sure looks beautiful!

Another problem, it already tastes better than the junk wine i buy. The Ball jar is already 1/2 empty. My last batch was gone by 6 months never even got to taste a mature bottle.

Thanks for looking, this is my first post, So hello everybody.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junbao View Post
Is my pear wine clearing or not? Help!

I have a 3 gallon batch in glass secondary, and a pint Ball jar for topping off. Wine is 7 weeks old, and is still dropping a little sediment. I used Jacks recipe, and used Pectin enzyme in the primary.

Now, in the Ball jar, i see a crystal clear (except for a substantial golden hue) 1" layer on top. Does this mean the clearing is stuck or just getting started? that 1" layer sure looks beautiful!

Another problem, it already tastes better than the junk wine i buy. The Ball jar is already 1/2 empty. My last batch was gone by 6 months never even got to taste a mature bottle.

Thanks for looking, this is my first post, So hello everybody.

Welcome! It sounds like it is clearing up still. My most recent batch of cider in a 5gal better bottle had the couple inches of crystal clear liquid on top of haziness that you mentioned. After a few more weeks, the whole thing cleared up nicely. Just give it some more time. You could try using some eggwhites to fine it if you're feeling impatient.

Quick Reply