Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > is my wine done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
geeeeoffff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is my wine done?

hey,

i've had my wine fermenting for a little longer than a month. i don't see any more bubbles around the surface.

I thought that it would be done about now but when i took a sip it was pretty sweet.

Vinometer says my wine is about 15% ABV.

a few questions...

1. I read that sugar can affect the reading of a Vinometer, would the sugar cause the reading to be too high, or too low? is this a big deal?

2. Should i let it sit for a while longer? Since it is pretty sweet, it makes me think that the yeast isn't done working. but at the same time i don't see anything like bubbles around the top. this makes me think that the yeast could be dead.

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Rack it to a secondary and give it another month. At 15%, the yeast are still working, but very slowly. Check it once a week.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Markusface
Recipes 

Depends how dry you want your wine to be. If you want a little residual sweetness, you can halt fermentation with campden tablets and wine stabilizer tablets to prevent re-fermentation. If you're going for a dry wine then rack it and see how it goes. Patience

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
geeeeoffff
Recipes 

alright, i guess i'll leave it a while longer and check every week or so for ABV change.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Use a hydrometer, if it is below 1.000 it is done

Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If something it tastes sweet and doesn't burn off your tongue or cause instant and painful heartburn (as a young 15% abv might) I would say you're getting slightly skewed readings. hydrometer is the best way to go, I didn't realize how important it really was until i started using it.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Quick Reply