Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > My first wine. Going with Pineapple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #31
Honda88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #32
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here goes with another noob question. With the sg dropping so quick, I assume it'll slow down, but is there a certain sg to rack at or is it time. I know the second rack will be to get it off the lees but in my primary fermenting bucket I can't see the lees so that's not a good gauge. I was thinking 1.010 first rack cuz I assume it'll ferment some in the secondary. I'll add campden tablets and top up but I just gotta know when for the first one. Any opinions?

mythicbrewing.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #33
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I can't really comment on this because im considering not using plastic on my next primary fermentation, If you wanna rack at 1.010 that would be fine....

Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #34
WhtHawk
Recipes 

Newbrew12,

There is a lot of personal preference when determining when to rack wine. From during fermentation to three months after the end of fermentation and some people think even longer. Shorter time between racking mean less rick of off-flavor due to autolysis but more exposure to potential contamination, oxygen contact, and seems to slow down active ferments due to leaving a large amount of yeast behind in the primary. Longer time in primary gives more yeast the opportunity to ferment and condition the wine, but too long and the yeast may die and autolyze (rot) which can impart off-flavors to the wine. While I have not personally detected autolysis flavor in my wines, my reading indicates that reaching this stage can take several months, generally in excess of three.

Personally, I like to give the yeast time to clean-up any off-flavor products produced during fermentation so I generally don't rack until fermentation has stopped and has had the opportunity to condition with the yeast for a month or so. If I need a yeast cake for another project, like SkeeterPee, I'll rack at the end of fermentation before the wine has cleared so there is still enough yeast in suspension to clean-up the fermentation and the yeast cake left behind is fresh and ready to tackle another fermentation.

A note: dry yeast pitched directly on the must instead of re-hydrating in water or water plus a re-hydration aid (such as Go-Ferm Protect) will have more dead yeast added at the start of fermentation as less yeast survive when hydrating in must. This is due to the inability of the dried yeast to regulate the materials passing through their cell walls.

As for the Campden Tablets at racking, I've seen people who dose at every racking and those who never dose. I dose at every other racking. So if I dose the must when it is assembled, I'll dose on the even racking (second, fourth, sixth, ect...) and if I assemble a must without them I dose on odd racking (first, third, fifth, ect...). I also dose when adding Potassium Sorbate or Sodium Benzoate for stabilization, and prior to bottling.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #35
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info whthawk! I'll give it some time before racking I think. I read a lot of places every other rack for tablets too and like you said, I didn't dose when making it so it'll be 1,3 (and if there is one,) 5. I feel the same as when I made my first beer... Impatient and nervous haha only on this you have to wait even longer to find out you screwed it up somewhere along the way. Thanks for the info! It's a big help

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #36
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Transferred to secondary today. Tasted it and it's actually pretty good so far. A lot better than I thought it would be thus far

Cheers!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, checked this morning and no bubbling noticed. I wasn't planning on racking this early, was planning on 30 days. Think I should rack now though since there's no action? About 3/4 of an inch to an inch of less I'd say

Cheers!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lees*

Cheers!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #39
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would anyone share a recipe for pineapple wine?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #40
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, we're at 3 weeks and a day as of today. St. Patty's day is this weekend and all of my carboys are taken up. Only one I have is to be used for the transfer to secondary for this wine on Monday. Debating if I should go pick up another carboy from the LHBS. Hmmmmm....

On a note about the actual wine... It's clearing up real nicely. Only the top 3 inches, or so I'd say, thus far is really clear but at least it's progress. I have a good cake on the bottom which is promising because after transfer I'm going to use the cake for some Skeeter Pee. I'm planning on giving this as gifts to the family at my wedding on May 12th. Should be cleared and bottled by then... I hope I'll just have to be sure to give them ageing instructions or something along with it.

Quick Reply