New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > My first go at wine...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
brian74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My first go at wine...

So I had gathered some Mustang grapes on 7-05 and they've been in the freezer since. During that time, I bought a fermenter and some required chemicals and planned on making 3 gallons of wine. I followed Jack Keller's recipe for Mustang wine, semi sweet red. As it turned out, my new fermenter was not enough to hold all of the water, juice and grapes. I had no other choice but to turn to my beer fermenter, which, of course, has a lingering odor. I hope this doesn't screw up the whole thing; the wine should be in the primary for 7 days, and then to a class secondary. I'm considering preemptively oaking it to possibly mask off flavors, should they occur.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

AKA Brewass

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Eep.

Well that 'lingering odor' (unless you don't clean it well enough, which will up my eep to 'double eep') is almost definitely hops oils. Glass and better bottles don't absorb hop oils, a lot of other plastics do. I'm thinking 7 days in primary won't impart a whole lot of hops flavor to it unless you make huge quadruple IPAs on the regular.. Shoot, I'd taste it before oaking just to see how it is. Not that I've ever tried, but a semi sweet red with a tiny tiny dash of citra hops might be.... well I'll stop before they crucify me :-3

I think you're right on with the move to secondary asap though.

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I use my "ale pail" fermenters all the time for wine and beer. No problems at all. If the fermenters are cleaned (I use oxiclean), and well rinsed and then sanitized, you have no transfer of odors at all.

I was a winemaker long before I started brewing, but I've never dedicated equipment exclusively to either beer or wine.

Quick Reply