Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Muscadine Wine from VA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #21
FlyinDan1017
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Obviously, I can't add anything to what's already been said as it's spot on (especially Yooper). I would suggest wondering over to Jack Keller's site for a bunch of good info on the winemaking processes. Of course, and not to detract from HBT's wealth of info (I spend WAY more time 'educating' myself here), it's a great place to start for much of the basics.

Good luck!!!!

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy937 View Post

I wouldn't be on here if I weren't counting on constructive criticisms I actually am hoping for it! Why couldn't I have learned how this process (wine making) works when I took Organic Chem ? LOL Its the worst when people explain how it works and it makes complete sense. Next round Ill add sugar until I reach my desired OG then carboy and live yeast? Once the airlock has reverse pressure I take my SG and bing search how that calculation works for telling you ABV?
Yes, if you need to add sugar to adjust the OG, do so at the very beginning before adding yeast. Then add the yeast to your must. Whether you use a carboy or bucket is totally up to you. It's very common for wine makers to use a large bucket for primary fermentation.

When fermentation slows (around 5 days or so) transfer to something that minimizes the head space above your wine. From this point forward you want to have minimal exposure to air to reduce chances of oxidation.

And yes, bing works. I use Dave's Dreaded Homebrew Calculator.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
tommyboy937
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Once I siphon into another carboy Ill take another picture and do a taste test. I have never tasted wine during the process any pointers on that? I have been smelling it as it gasses off and it smells like red wine... lol but I am curious about the specific taste at this point.

You all have been very helpful, Yooper your detailed explanations have made things really clear, thank you!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Give it a small taste, swish it around in your mouth thinking about what it is doing for you. Don't get in any hurry to swallow but when you do think again about what it is doing. Does it burn going down?

Then let Yopper and the rest know about the experience. For me I have found that new wine burns my throat at about 13 or 14 %.

What I smoke has a sting to it.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #25
tommyboy937
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

No burn at all, it tasted like a sugarless moscato... i put some "yeast killer" in per the instructions waited a couple of hours and added a # of sugar per gal, its gonna sit now for at least a couple of months before I bottle it and try it again.

It racked really nice and clean, looked great in a glass even

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4251 Times on 3097 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy937 View Post
No burn at all, it tasted like a sugarless moscato... i put some "yeast killer" in per the instructions waited a couple of hours and added a # of sugar per gal, its gonna sit now for at least a couple of months before I bottle it and try it again.

It racked really nice and clean, looked great in a glass even
"Yeast killer"? You mean wine conditioner? It doesn't actually kill yeast, so if the wine wasn't clear it may keep fermenting.

Quick Reply