Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Muscadine Wine Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Muscadine Wine Problem

Made a 5 gallon batch of muscadine wine and followed my LHBS recipe exactly. Tasted my wine on the last racking and it was spot on. My last step was adding isinglass which I did according to the recipe. Tasted again and the wine was gross. So bad in fact that I have pretty much concluded its done for. I was hoping it would not keep the very strange taste it took on after the addition of isinglass and instead age out and be ok. Now it's been almost 4 months and it still has the off flavor. The whole flavor all together taste different and the wine is undrinkable. Anyone else have any issues like this with isinglass ? Is there any hope for this wine or any way to fix this ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan
Made a 5 gallon batch of muscadine wine and followed my LHBS recipe exactly. Tasted my wine on the last racking and it was spot on. My last step was adding isinglass which I did according to the recipe. Tasted again and the wine was gross. So bad in fact that I have pretty much concluded its done for. I was hoping it would not keep the very strange taste i on after the addition of isinglass and instead age out and be ok. Now it's been almost 4 months and it still has the off flavor. The whole flavor all together taste different and the wine is undrinkable. Anyone else have any issues like this with isinglass ? Is there any hope for this wine or any way to fix this ?
Walk through your steps as you added it.

How did you mix it, did it clear, how long did it sit on sediments, did you top up your carboy, how much isinglass did you add?

It is a fining agent, so if you tasted after you added, I would expect it would taste a bit strange.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, did wait to let the isinglass work, then rack off it? If not then yes, you probally might be tasting it. If you did wait, and rack off the sediment, THEN tasted it, you probally have one of the problems Nova listed and should go back through your process looking for the problem. Let us know!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
kevinstan
Recipes 

Yes. I let the isinglass clear then racked. It only set on sediment for about 28 days. I used the right amount and I topped off when I racked it. I didn't taste it right away, I tasted it days later and it was aweful. Tried it again weeks later and now months later and it's still the same.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Ok, now its tougher because we can't taste it ourselves. Would you say your 'aweful' taste is like...(fill in the blank)

Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
kevinstan
Recipes 

It is a strange sweetness that is very off almost like a chemical sweet. No muscadine flavor at all. I tasted some isinglass by itself just to test it and its very close to the same.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan
It is a strange sweetness that is very off almost like a chemical sweet. No muscadine flavor at all. I tasted some isinglass by itself just to test it and its very close to the same.
Maybe it was mislabeled and is actually wine conditioner?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
kevinstan
Recipes 

No. I have conditioner and its yellow. This was milky white. But it's not a good sweet. It's a nasty not right flavor of sweet.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
Pediococcus maybe? This is a bacterial infection that can taste sweet.

Quick Reply