Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Muscadine Wine - Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Its not dry. I tried a glass with added sugar and the taste is still there. It taste nothing like dry wine. It's more of a strange residual flavor in the wine, take away all muscadine flavor. The good flavor is all gone and there is only this really odd stagnant taste left along with alcohol. I like dry wine and its for sure not dry. I also tried a glass with adding more conditioner to sweeten and that didn't work either. It's hard to explain the taste but it taste like something is wrong. I am guessing at this point that isn't normal. It tasted so good just 2 weeks ago before adding stabilizer and conditioner that I don't know what else it would be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan
Its not dry. I tried a glass with added sugar and the taste is still there. It taste nothing like dry wine. It's more of a strange residual flavor in the wine, take away all muscadine flavor. The good flavor is all gone and there is only this really odd stagnant taste left along with alcohol. I like dry wine and its for sure not dry. I also tried a glass with adding more conditioner to sweeten and that didn't work either. It's hard to explain the taste but it taste like something is wrong. I am guessing at this point that isn't normal. It tasted so good just 2 weeks ago before adding stabilizer and conditioner that I don't know what else it would be.
That leads me to believe there is something wrong with the conditioner.

Let it finish fermenting and clear. Rack, dose with potassium metabisulfite,and top off and let it sit for a month or two. See if it improves. You can back sweeten with sugar if needed and add metabisulfite and sorbate.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Kevin...can you take a SG reading on a sample? I do know that some feel conditioner can leave an odd taste. Though, if you never used k-meta/campden it is quite possible the wine underwent a spontaneous MLF, and sorbate added to a MLF wine typically will impart intense geranium odor (which some say can sometimes carry thru as an undescribable taste). Definitely let the bottles continue to age, try one in three months.

This is all bottled, right?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
kevinstan
Recipes 

That is correct. This is all bottled up. Thank you for all the information and for the small hope that this might come out ok.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

You are welcome. Try to keep them cool, because I am concerned you may have a risk for bottle fermentation which can cause bottle bombs, keywords: may, risk.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
kevinstan
Recipes 

They are currently in my basement to age. Right around 65 degrees f.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
kevinstan
Recipes 

Also they are all corked with plastic tasting corks. That is ok right ?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #18
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Also they are all corked with plastic tasting corks. That is ok right ?
I personally would not use plastic tasting corks as a replacement for traditional corking method. With time that plastic cork will fail and they lose their elasticity and if not replaced your wine will oxidize at the very least. I have read on HBS sites not to use them in that scope, and I have read they can last up to six months.

Quick Reply