Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Muscadine Wine - Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Muscadine Wine - Please Help!

Started 10 gallons of muscadine wine 3 months ago. Followed a recipe from my trusted LHBS. Torwards the end of the last part of everything I tasted it once it cleared and it was tasting good! I did the final step of the recipe which was the wine stabilizer and then the conditioner. Let it sit for a couple more weeks then it was time to bottle. At bottling time I tasted it again and gross! I have no idea hat happened after the stabilizer and conditioner but I think it messed my wine up! Is this possible ? It's been about 2 weeks after bottling now and it still tastes nasty. Not sure if this is normal or not or if its time to dump it out but I hope to hear this is normal. Please help! It went from really good to really bad. Normal ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan
Started 10 gallons of muscadine wine 3 months ago. Followed a recipe from my trusted LHBS. Torwards the end of the last part of everything I tasted it once it cleared and it was tasting good! I did the final step of the recipe which was the wine stabilizer and then the conditioner. Let it sit for a couple more weeks then it was time to bottle. At bottling time I tasted it again and gross! I have no idea hat happened after the stabilizer and conditioner but I think it messed my wine up! Is this possible ? It's been about 2 weeks after bottling now and it still tastes nasty. Not sure if this is normal or not or if its time to dump it out but I hope to hear this is normal. Please help! It went from really good to really bad. Normal ?
Perhaps you added too much or the batch of conditioner/stabilizer was bad.

Was the carboy completely topped up after your last racking?

Here is how I finish my wine.

Once it is clear, I stabilize with 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite for dry wine.

If I back sweeten, I add 1/2 tsp per gallon of potassium sorbate. I do not use the conditioner to sweeten my wine, I make my own by mixing a solution of water and sugar 1:1.

As far as your wine goes, let it sit for a month, it may improve. If not, dump it.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
kevinstan
Recipes 

Your right, it was not topped off. That means I was at around 4 gallons and added stabilizer and conditioner for 5 gallons. Would that ruin my wine this badly ? Will it balance out or is it doomed ?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
novalou
Recipes 

Quote:
Your right, it was not topped off. That means I was at around 4 gallons and added stabilizer and conditioner for 5 gallons. Would that ruin my wine this badly ? Will it balance out or is it doomed ?
Sounds like you had 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy? Does it taste oxidized? It probably spoiled with that much head space.

Consider it a lesson learned.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
kevinstan
Recipes 

No it wasn't oxidized. I racked the wine and lost some from racking. I didn't top it off but it still had to be producing c02 because it was still fermenting and bubbling for a while. Like I said, it tasted awesome a couple of weeks ago then bad right after the stabilizer and conditioner.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
novalou
Recipes 

Quote:
No it wasn't oxidized. I racked the wine and lost some from racking. I didn't top it off but it still had to be producing c02 because it was still fermenting and bubbling for a while. Like I said, it tasted awesome a couple of weeks ago then bad right after the stabilizer and conditioner.
If it is going through MLF fermentation, the stabilizer will react creating off flavors.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
kevinstan
Recipes 

I am not familiar with MLF fermentation ?? I hope that it comes around. It was tasting really good on my taste test until the stabilizer and conditioner.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What was the SG when you stabilized and added conditioner? Was it still kind of sweet when you stabilized/conditioned, and now that sweetness is gone, as in dry?

Trying to get better understanding of what you liked and what happened.

And by stabilizer...are you using k-meta/campden plus sorbate?

MLF is a secondary fermentation that can happen naturally with some fruits OR you can introduce a malolactic culture...with the idea that the malic acid is utilized. A way to help smooth out acids, and hopefully make some improvements. But MLF can be prevented by dosing appropriately with k-meta, among other things. May want to read about it one day.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
kevinstan
Recipes 

I like it on the sweet side. SG was 1.070 when it started, and it almost finished out. Stabilizer was in a bag from my LHBS just labeled as that. Looked like thin pellets that broke up really easily. The wine was tasting excellent until after the stabilizer and conditioner. Now it taste like bitter grapes. No muscadine flavor anymore at all. Slight grape flavor but with a strange alcohol taste that's bitter almost. No good.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I like it on the sweet side. SG was 1.070 when it started, and it almost finished out. Stabilizer was in a bag from my LHBS just labeled as that. Looked like thin pellets that broke up really easily. The wine was tasting excellent until after the stabilizer and conditioner. Now it taste like bitter grapes. No muscadine flavor anymore at all. Slight grape flavor but with a strange alcohol taste that's bitter almost. No good.
I suspect the stabilizer was simply sorbate, (need to call HBS and ask) which will not really do anything since it was still likely fermenting. The sugar in the conditioner was turned into more alcohol.It happens when SG is not at a standstill when stabilized. Complicated if there was no campden/k-meta as part of the stabilizing process. Which is why you need to find out what was in the stabilizing packet. So, now you simply have a dry muscadine wine. You can consider sweetening to taste in the glass, and see what you think.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply