I just started my first muscadine wine two weeks ago, a 1-gallon batch. Used this recipe from Jack Kellers web site. I'm new to wine making so not sure what help I can give.
MUSCADINE GRAPE WINE (1)
• 6 lbs ripe Muscadine Grapes
• 2-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
• 3 qts water
• 1 tsp pectic enzyme
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• 1 packet Montrachet wine yeast
Boil the water and dissolve the sugar in it. While sugar-water is cooling, wash, destem and crush the grapes, being sure to wear rubber gloves. Pour crushed grapes into nylon straining bag, tie securely, and put in primary. Pour water over grapes, add crushed Campden tablet and yeast nutrient, and cover primary securely. After 12 hours add pectic enzyme. Wait additional 12 hours and measure both specific gravity and acid. S.G. should be 1.090 or higher; acidity no higher than 7 p.p.t. tartaric. Correct S.G. if required by adding additional sugar, acid by using one of three methods described below following recipes. Add yeast, recover primary, and squeeze nylon bag lightly and stir must twice daily for about 5-7 days or until S.G. drops to 1.030. Press pulp well to extract liquid. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and let stand 3 weeks. Rack and top up, then rack again in 2 months and again after additional 2 months. If wine has cleared, bottle. If not, wait until wine clears, rack again and bottle. This wine may be sweetened before bottling by stabilizing, waiting 10-12 hours, then adding 2/3 to 1-1/3 cup sugar-water per gallon (2 parts sugar dissolved in 1 part water. May taste after one year, but improves remarkably with age (2-4 years). [Author's recipe.]
I didn't do the acidity testing though. Several other web site recipes didn't have that step, so I didn't bother.
I did put the fruit in a mesh bag then used a sanitized 4x4 to press them in the bucket, not hard enough though to break down the seeds. Always heard that the seeds can leave a bad taste to the wine if crushed.
Starting S.G. was 1.096. After 7 days the S.G. was 1.020 so I racked it to a clean carboy.