muscadine wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmadness

Reaction score
I harvested 37 lbs of sweet muscadine today. i put them in the freezer to help extract more juice from them when i get ready to make my wine. i plan on making 5 gallons so i will use about 30 lbs of them, and add enough water till i get the acid level at .65 then i will add sugar untill i get sg reading of 1.095, then add 5 tsp of pectic enzyme and 5 crushed campden tablets. does this sound right? i also plan on picking more muscadines till i get about 20 lbs and will attempt to make a three gallon batch of white muscadine wine by removeing skins and geting acid level to .70 and and sg at 1.090, has anyone ever made a white muscadine wine before? i will let you know how it goes on the way.

i

made my 5 gallon batch of must today( red wine ) og is 1.102, higer than i wanted it but itll have to do dont know the acid level, my acid kit is too hard to use ( im still an amature )coudnt tell the color differnce change so i just stuck with recipie. will pitch yeast tommorow.

Snellville Ga......Pitch yeast! That sounds like a ga thang......I wish I knew when to pitch! I don't even know when my MUST will do......or what my must IS.......brand new here but getting too old to tarry very long.......but I would love to get some pointers on how I can make my sweet wine again.....

Sounds like you are on the right track - it will likely be just fine....

My own experience with Cultivated Muscadines is that the closer to the peak of ripeness - the less gyrations you have to perform to get them to fit into the "Making wine out of this stuff" mold....

For example - 2-years ago, I used grapes that were fully ripe and starting to shrivel a bit... Tested the Acid - no correction needed... Tested the SG - and I needed to add like 1-lb of sugar to a 5-gallon batch to get it right....

It's amazing how much difference a week or two will make - last week, my red muscadines were VERY sour.. Yesterday - they were getting pretty sweet and the sour/bitter was starting to dissipate....

Thanks

Back