Muscadine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
hey yooper, i just realized my autosiphon doesn't fit into a carlo rossi bottle, whatta bummer. Anyway, i know this is off the topic of this post but do you think this is a good recipe for muscadine wine... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjgvRa1SmQ]YouTube - Making Muscadine Wine[/ame]

I picked a five gallon bucket full and figured i would give it a try

I watched it, and it's ok. There are some things I'd do differently (like not degassing, giving it more time; racking more often, etc) but overall it's a good place to start. Good luck!

I watched it, and it's ok. There are some things I'd do differently (like not degassing, giving it more time; racking more often, etc) but overall it's a good place to start. Good luck!

hey thanks for moving it i really didn't know where to put it but i wanted to ask you about it bc you have a lot of wine recipe posts, but anyway i was kinda wondering about that degassing part myself was kinda thinking about skipping the whole drill part anyway. The only other 2 things i was kinda wondering about where 10lbs of sugar this seems like alot of sugar is it just reg. cane sugar? and also i have found some recipes that call for what this one calls for except minus the calcium carbonate, but adding wine tannin. I dont know which one would be best.

hey thanks for moving it i really didn't know where to put it but i wanted to ask you about it bc you have a lot of wine recipe posts, but anyway i was kinda wondering about that degassing part myself was kinda thinking about skipping the whole drill part anyway. The only other 2 things i was kinda wondering about where 10lbs of sugar this seems like alot of sugar is it just reg. cane sugar? and also i have found some recipes that call for what this one calls for except minus the calcium carbonate, but adding wine tannin. I dont know which one would be best.

Well, you use just regular cane sugar. If you're uncertain about the amount, you can definitely add less and then check the SG. If the SG is in the 1.085- 1.100, that would be good. You can add more sugar to bring it up. I use a program I found online called winecal which tells me how much sugar to add to give me a certain SG. I can run it for you if you get that far, and can't find that.

I've never worked with muscadines, but I've heard they are very acidic. The calcium carbonate can help neutralize some of that acidic flavor. I use it in my rhubarb wine, for the same reason. Tannin is what provides "bite" to the wine. I use it in many wines, including apple wine. You could add just a little (like 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons) if you want to see if it makes a difference, and can add more later if you think it needs more of a bite. I doubt you'd need it for muscadines, though.

To give you even more food for thought, here are two recipes from Jack Keller's website (and see the bottom for info on reducing acid with calcium carbonate): winemaking: requested recipe (muscadine wine)

i put the campden tablets on the muscadines like the recipe says, and it turned the juice from the nice purple color to green and made them smell dif. i hope this didnt ruin it

i put the campden tablets on the muscadines like the recipe says, and it turned the juice from the nice purple color to green and made them smell dif. i hope this didnt ruin it

Smell different? It shouldn't change the must at all, only maybe give it a little sulfur smell. You crushed and dissolved the campden tablets at the rate of one per gallon?

Smell different? It shouldn't change the must at all, only maybe give it a little sulfur smell. You crushed and dissolved the campden tablets at the rate of one per gallon?

well, it wasnt five gallons yet, bc following the recipe i only put the campden tablets on the muscadines and there juice which was like a gallon and a half, i used 5 tabs

and another thing is sanitizing not important when primary fermenting wine? bc none of the recipes i find for wine really mention sanitizing until secondary

and another thing is sanitizing not important when primary fermenting wine? bc none of the recipes i find for wine really mention sanitizing until secondary

Sanitizing is absolutely crucial at all stages. Maybe the recipes you've read assume that you've already sanitized everything, and then you add the campden to sanitize the must.

Back