Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Muscadine Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
emskevin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Muscadine Juice

Hello,
I'm harvesting my muscadines and I have a huge crop. I've been squeezing grapes today and I have very close to 3 gallons of undiluted juice. My question is I am trying to plan my wine and most of the recipies call for 1 quart juice to 3 quarts water - I have a 6 gallon carboy, and I was thinking about getting a couple of smaller ones for this batch, anyway as a ballpark figure can I go to a 1:2 ratio. I dont have a acid test kit but the pure juice is pretty stout. I will probably have a couple more gallons of pure juice before I'm finished- so I dont have to be conservative. Thanks

Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1:2 ratio would be fine.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
emskevin
Recipes 

Hello again / thanks... So I ended up with 4 gallons of juice 1.060 / 15 ball / 8 pa
Per my recipe I added 2.25 pounds of sugar per gallon for a total of 8 gallons... Well I realized I added sugar for a recipe that called for 1 quart juice to 3 quarts water and since I had opted for a 2:1 ratio I decided that I had probably added to much sugar so I added another gallon of water.
Now I have 9 gallons total / 4 gallons of juice and 5 gallons of water and a dang ton of grape peels in a sack floating in my primary (igloo cooler). The resulting must is 1.100 / 24 / 14pa. So do you guys think my numbers are ok or will this turn out to high octane?
Thanks
Kevin

Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With your SG 1.10 you should get 13-14% ETOH. This is not what I would consider rocket feul. That is what I make all my wines to. I say let it roll.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
emskevin
Recipes 

Outstanding! Then I'm gonna let it do it's thing... One last question - when I was at my not-so local home-brew shop a couple of weeks ago they were out of Montrachet so I picked up red star Pasteur red / what do you think... Should I use the red or maybe go find some Montrachet (they may have it in by now)

Thanks again !!
Kevin

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Pasteur Red will work fine. It will just give a different flavor profile compared to the Montrachet.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
emskevin
Recipes 

I'm into day 2 and my primary is rolling! Surprisingly a lot of heat is coming from the brew... Guess that's what's supposed to happen. I did a SG check and from 1.100 24 / 14 pa
2 days later it's 1.30 8 / 4 percent pa.
Starting to smell like wine. Is this normal?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
doctorgonzo79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I am just starting a muscidine batch myself, first attempt.

Good news on not flying solo, I'll follow your thread since you are a few days ahead of me in the process. I just squished my grapes today.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Ajski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They will be on sale locally this week in my area. Mind telling me where you got your recipe? This will be my first batch from “scratch”.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
emskevin
Recipes 

Howdy - well I racked my wine today - fermentation had really slowed down (no bubbles) so I checked sg and it was 1.000 - so I guess that's as dry as it gets- I tasted it last week and it had a "hot" alcohol taste - today's taste was much better! Still a little worried as the wine is very hazy / but I'll wait a few weeks and see if things clear a bit. My recipe was from the Keller site- if anybody was wondering how I mashed the grapes / I used a cooler (sanitized) then added a good amount of grapes the took a heavy cutting board end side up and started crushing - I had a large amount of muscadines so freezing wasn't an option.. Also this may be of interest to newbies like me - after I mashed the grapes I placed in my mesh bag and squeezed for all I was worth - the pulp of the grape was left and was holding a lot of juice... I decided to put all of this "great goodness" in my primary... After 4 days in the primary with the pectic enzyme and fermentation the must bag was withdrawn. The volume was reduced by half-- all that was left was skins and seeds- easily squeezable... And it increased my juice volume significantly. Thanks for the advice.. I'll let everybody know how it turns out -
Kevin

Quick Reply