Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > To much water..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #11
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

Yes, your canned yams will work. In fact, you would not even need to broil, smush into double layer clean/sanitized pantyhose and into secondary. Add some pectic enzyme, 1/2-1 tsp per gallon. Or just add yams to carboy and ditch the fancy straing apparatus.

Some unsolicited suggestions, sorry:
I would consider backsweetening with pumpkin pie spiced caramel syrup, like Torani or such that you doctor up, or make your own. I do it all fall for my coffee syrup-homemade!!. Consider the use of whole spices as you heat the syrup to extract flavor, that way you need not worry about little spice flecks everywhere. Perhaps toss some cinnamon sticks in pint jar, cover with puregrain....in a few weeks you have cinnamon extract. Or a caramelized sugar simple syrup done at home (tricky bugger for me, but getting better). Can send recipe if you PM me....unless you want me to post?
One of these days maybe i will invest in a strainer bag, i emptied some of the wine into another holding device then mixed some of that wine with the "yams" and pureed then poured it all back into the carboy the displaced wine has been set aside for top off :-)

Please post here if you don't mind, sure others will find it useful! I didn't think about back sweetening that way!! Fantastic idea i am sure my wife is thrilled i am diving further into this hobby lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing

One of these days maybe i will invest in a strainer bag, i emptied some of the wine into another holding device then mixed some of that wine with the "yams" and pureed then poured it all back into the carboy the displaced wine has been set aside for top off :-)

Please post here if you don't mind, sure others will find it useful! I didn't think about back sweetening that way!! Fantastic idea i am sure my wife is thrilled i am diving further into this hobby lol
Ebay....cheap, cheap, cheap, purchase individually or by a set. If you can sew, all you need is the fabric and ten minutes. Many use paint straining bags from hardware store, actually able to use a few times before discarding. Though of course you could purchase panty hose and see what wife says. I make several nylon tubes from a 99cent pair, and tie the two cut off legs(imagine cutoff shorts and you knot leg fabric together) together. The stretchy waist is perfect for covering a primary.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply