Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > moving from primary to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
bkvail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default moving from primary to secondary

the wine store was out of the tubing/cane for racking wine into the carboy - can I just pour with a funnel if I'm careful, or will that cause problems? This is my first batch.......

I'm also contemplating about the size of the batch - it's only about 2 gallons, so I'd have to put it in two separate 1 gallon glass bottles - OR, I was thinking about putting a gallon of lemonade (plus a little sugar) in a 3 gallon carboy and putting the fermenting strawberry wine on top to make it hard strawberry lemonade - is that do-able?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
petes
Recipes 

For the tubing, what about the local hardware store; wouldn't suggest you go the funnel way.
If you go the 2 x 1 gallon route, just keep an eye on your headspace.
Your idea with the lemonade is do-able as long as there's no preservative in the lomonade.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
bkvail
Recipes 

thanks, I'll be headed to the HW store today - will have to think of how to keep it off the bottom of the bucket so I don't suck up the sediment too.........

Quick Reply