Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > more than one way to stabilize before backsweeten?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
bkvail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default more than one way to stabilize before backsweeten?

I know I'm going to want to backsweeten my apfelwein - is there more than one way to stabilize? One way I read was k-sorbate (1/2tsp/gallon) + 1 crushed campden tab/gallon. I have the campden, don't have the k-sorbate. I think I'm going to backsweeten with honey......

secondary:
3 gallons strawberry lemon
1 gallon JAOM
1 gallon lime
1 gallon apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvail View Post
I know I'm going to want to backsweeten my apfelwein - is there more than one way to stabilize? One way I read was k-sorbate (1/2tsp/gallon) + 1 crushed campden tab/gallon. I have the campden, don't have the k-sorbate. I think I'm going to backsweeten with honey......
Probably not a way easier than getting the k-sorbate. I'm not wine maker but I understand that campden alone won't reliably stabilize the beer. You could certainly pasteurize or sterile filter but really running by the LHBS or waiting a few days for an internet order is much simpler and easier.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

If you don't want to buy some sorbate you can always wait. Six months to a year will do wonders in stabilizing a wine.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
bkvail
Recipes 

I wish my local wine store opened before 3pm :P I don't have time today to wait around for them to open - so I'll have to wait for another day. I did draw off 1/4 of the gallon, added some honey and put it in the fridge. I had to put a big red X on the juice jug I put it in so my kids didn't think it was apple juice, LOL.

secondary:
3 gallons strawberry lemon
1 gallon JAOM
1 gallon lime
1 gallon apfelwein

Quick Reply