Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > more apple juice cans less sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
hmmmbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default more apple juice cans less sugar?

I'm looking at making a batch of apple wine out of the over flowing freezer. I am finding plenty of recipes to make it but I was wondering if I would throw off the taste if I put more cans of frozen apple juice and less sugar (thinking of the OG more so than anything else)? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmbeer View Post
I'm looking at making a batch of apple wine out of the over flowing freezer. I am finding plenty of recipes to make it but I was wondering if I would throw off the taste if I put more cans of frozen apple juice and less sugar (thinking of the OG more so than anything else)? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
No, not really. I mean, the yeast only see sugar as sugar, so don't care where it comes from. Since apple juice has a lower OG than pure sugar, you'd have a lower OG than if you boosted the fermentables with sugar.

I like to use apple juice or cider, and a little tannin and acid blend. It makes a really good wine! You could even try apple raspberry wine with those 100% juice concentrates if you're feeling adventurous!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, not really. I mean, the yeast only see sugar as sugar, so don't care where it comes from. Since apple juice has a lower OG than pure sugar, you'd have a lower OG than if you boosted the fermentables with sugar.

I like to use apple juice or cider, and a little tannin and acid blend. It makes a really good wine! You could even try apple raspberry wine with those 100% juice concentrates if you're feeling adventurous!
I have the Acid blend and tannin, would you mind giving me your recipe for appple wine? I'd be adding sugar too just trying to use more apple juice than more sugar due to the apple flavor being held in there better if you use the juice rather than the sugar, so you would think anyways.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmbeer View Post
I have the Acid blend and tannin, would you mind giving me your recipe for appple wine? I'd be adding sugar too just trying to use more apple juice than more sugar due to the apple flavor being held in there better if you use the juice rather than the sugar, so you would think anyways.
It's posted already- under my avatar, or in the "recipes" forum.

Quick Reply