Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Molasses wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Molasses wine

I am aware molasses is regularly fermented for distillation purposes, both for fuel and rum, but I was wondering if anyone knows why it doesn't seem to be a popular non-distiller fermented beverage.

Has anyone tried a molasses wine?

It is cheap, plentiful, very flavorful, chock full of nutrients and fermentables.

I regularly use it in my darker beers to bump the ABV and FG, and the taste really coincides with chocolate malt and roasted barley. It would seem like it would be good for wine making too... Comments? Experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've only ever seen it in beers. I wonder if it would provide enough of a flavor to be tasty after the yeast has at it?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I personally don't like molasses, but I especially dislike the taste of fermented molasses. (I call it mole asses ).

Picture molasses, but without the sweetness. It's not a great flavor to me. That's probably why no one wants to do it.

I've had some fermented molasses flavor when I've used brown sugar in an apple wine, and disliked that, but it was very subtle so it wasn't to bad. I think an unsweet molasses would be terrible, but it's just my opinion,

Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I've had some of Washington's recipe for molasses beer. There was very little in the beer besides molasses and it was vile.

I like molasses, molasses cookies, molasses in spice cake, even on pancakes. But used it once in a beer and never will again.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
markelickt
Recipes 

I am considering about making a wine through molasses and I do not have more idea about it. I think this is one of the best place to get information about molasses. So, please some one like to tell that what can I have to do for making wine?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Out of molasses? I think the general consensus is that you shouldn't do it. I guess if you have an excessive amount of molasses...

My original thought, which I have been dissuaded from, was to pour about 14 lbs of molasses into a sanitized carboy, top up with water, add some spices, some nutrient, shake the bejesus out of it, and pitch a packet of neutral wine yeast.

I repeat, I'm not going to do this. If Yooper and David both say its a bad idea, I generally listen... That philosophy saves me much time and money.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
SnupDave
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think I understand the logic behind molasses being a pretty gross ingredient in fermentation, but it's my understanding that (at least in the short term) honey is also. It just takes honey a long time to actually taste good. For those of you with more experience (hopefully experience with fermenting both honey and molasses), do you think that molasses's grossness could possibly be cured with age, or is it an inherent property that will always be a part of molasses?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I'm drinking a batch of a ginger wine right now where I used a fair amount of molasses, sucanat, dark brown sugar. Granted it's quite young at only about 2 months. At first I thought ACK this is terrible. But after I got through a gallon of it, I find I really really like it now. It is definitely a sharp taste (no doubt made even worse by it being so young). But - I would not describe it as a bad taste. I'm definitely going to make more. It seems to taste best cold over ice.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnupDave View Post
I think I understand the logic behind molasses being a pretty gross ingredient in fermentation, but it's my understanding that (at least in the short term) honey is also. It just takes honey a long time to actually taste good. For those of you with more experience (hopefully experience with fermenting both honey and molasses), do you think that molasses's grossness could possibly be cured with age, or is it an inherent property that will always be a part of molasses?
I made a porter with molasses about 6 years ago. It still has a strong molasses flavor.

WWCD: What Would Chthulu Do?

Quick Reply