Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Might need some help with a blueberry wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
glockshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Might need some help with a blueberry wine

Hi all, I was checking a blueberry wine I started a few weeks ago. I racked my secondary to remove the sediment, but I noticed my SG was still over 1.00. Actual reading was 1.010 where the recipe calls for an even 1.00. It doesn't seem to be clearing at all since racking it over. Does this sound like a stuck fermentation? It is definitely behind the strawberry that is sitting now. How should I proceed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The gravity might be alright, as it may still ferment a little in the secondary with residual yeast that is still in suspension. The wine may still need to sit in order to clear on its own, or another issue might be that the pectins from the blueberrys may have set. Did you boil the blueberrys? This may cause your cloudyness. I know pectinase will help clear, but I don't remember if you can add it after a boil or primary. Another option is to cold crash it in a fridge.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
glockshooter
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Mike. The recipe I used didn't call for boiling, just room temp water and give them a good mashing prior. I kept an eye on it tonight, its still fizzy, I just don't see the airlock bubbling. It may be ok, I might be too worried over nothing.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockshooter
Thanks for the reply Mike. The recipe I used didn't call for boiling, just room temp water and give them a good mashing prior. I kept an eye on it tonight, its still fizzy, I just don't see the airlock bubbling. It may be ok, I might be too worried over nothing.
Do you have any PH testing stuff? If so check the PH. What kind of yeast did you use and what was the OG. Without knowing the receipe I would not want to just guess. It sounds like there is a lot of suspended CO2. Let me know!

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Quick Reply