Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Midwest cyber Tuesday Wine Kit Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
junior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbarnes View Post
These two kits will be my first experience with wines as well. I am finding some differences in brewing beer vs making wine.
With brewing beer, you boil the wort driving off the dissolved oxygen. That is why you need to aerate the wort. When making wine, there is no boiling, so the water and juices are pretty well aerated to start. The stirring over the first few days should be plenty.
Please, someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong.
No boiling to drive off oxygen is correct, but it seems to me reading posts that there is still a debate on closed vs open fermentation. Some folks saying you need to leave primary fermentation open to let in oxygen, I myself would rather keep my fermentor closed for various reasons, so I figured to eliminate the lack of oxygen issue with closed fermentation, aeration would be a good solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior

No boiling to drive off oxygen is correct, but it seems to me reading posts that there is still a debate on closed vs open fermentation. Some folks saying you need to leave primary fermentation open to let in oxygen, I myself would rather keep my fermentor closed for various reasons, so I figured to eliminate the lack of oxygen issue with closed fermentation, aeration would be a good solution.
Open vs closed fermentation for wine depends on some factors.

Some yeasts and wine fermented on fruit needs the head space in an open fermentation. I still cover with either a towel or lid.

I just did a Reisling from juice. The fermentation did not foam at all, if it was airlocked, it would have been just fine.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
mcfergyflav
Recipes 

I ordered the red and white coastal as well from them. Just got them today...less than a week delivery..nice. I have seen countless youtube vids..and none of them say anything about using 02 or covering with wine. You want to keep the 02 out of these premade juice kits. The directions are there so there are no missteps by novices like me...I did find that the dvd they sent wasn't very good, but there are plenty of vids out there..just youtube the term 'wine kit' good luck

Quick Reply