Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Midwest cyber Tuesday Wine Kit Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default Midwest cyber Tuesday Wine Kit Sale

Most of you probably saw the Midwest Cyber Monday sale. It has been extended on Tuesday. The coastal red and white kits are BOGO. However if you call in and place your order rather than online you can buy a red and get a white.

Just a FYI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
mbbarnes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ordered my kits Friday online and received them this afternoon. I had written in the comment section of the order that I would prefer a red and white kit. I was not really expecting them to allow substitutions. So I was very surprised to see both coastal red and white in my order!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I web chatted with them and asked, and was just told to call in it was no problem.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
junior
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ordered my two kits on Monday should receive them next week. Have you guys used these kits before? This is my first try with kit wines. I have done a one gallon grape juice wine a while ago and it turned out good except for the fizz, didn't degas. I have read the instructions for these kit's, I am little confused, they say to cover the primary with lid. When I did my grape juice wine I did research and the consensus was to keep the fermenter open to let in oxygen to help the yeast. If anyone has used these kits before what was your procedure?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
I ordered my two kits on Monday should receive them next week. Have you guys used these kits before? This is my first try with kit wines. I have done a one gallon grape juice wine a while ago and it turned out good except for the fizz, didn't degas. I have read the instructions for these kit's, I am little confused, they say to cover the primary with lid. When I did my grape juice wine I did research and the consensus was to keep the fermenter open to let in oxygen to help the yeast. If anyone has used these kits before what was your procedure?
With juice, I cover the primary with a lid. Fermenting fruit or grapes on skin, I cover the primary with a towel.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
junior
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have decided to aerate with 02 and use a lid and airlock to primary. I plan to stir for the first two days, would it hurt to use the 02 for the first tow days when I open to stir? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I have decided to aerate with 02 and use a lid and airlock to primary. I plan to stir for the first two days, would it hurt to use the 02 for the first tow days when I open to stir? Any advice would be appreciated.
What would the advantage be to using o2 for the two days? I don't get that.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
junior
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
What would the advantage be to using o2 for the two days? I don't get that.
I figured since some people prefer to ferment with an open fermenter to encourage infusion of oxygen, I prefer to use a closed fermentation, so if I infuse 02 it would offset the lack of oxygen issue versus the open/closed techniques people use. Am I wrong in my assumptions? Thank's for the help!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
fuzzy15845
Recipes 

Never heard of adding o2

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
mbbarnes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

These two kits will be my first experience with wines as well. I am finding some differences in brewing beer vs making wine.
With brewing beer, you boil the wort driving off the dissolved oxygen. That is why you need to aerate the wort. When making wine, there is no boiling, so the water and juices are pretty well aerated to start. The stirring over the first few days should be plenty.
Please, someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply