Originally Posted by smeurett
I have a similar question about stabilizing finished wines that seemed to fit in this thread-
Just wanted an opinion out there. Usually my wines ferment out fully dry-at that point I have sweetened some of them up a bit, but to be sure they don't restart again, I stabilize the wine ahead of time with: 2 1/2 teaspoons Sorbate + 5 camphden tablets. I found this combination and amount reading somewhere. The problem is, it seems I get a little sulpher nose- a bite later when I open a bottle. I'm wondering if I'm stabilizing the correct way. Any ideas?
In another case, I bought the commercial "stabilizer" that is supposed to "stabize and sweeten" finished wines. I tried it on some blackberry, and it seemed to work pretty well-the wine didn't restart and it sweetened up the batch.
These are for 5 gal batches by the way.
Thanks in advance for any opinions you have-
That seems to be the correct dosage for 5 gallons, but but if you're getting a sulfur nose, I wonder how long you're waiting to open a bottle. Also, check the "dosage" of your campden tablets- just to make sure you're in the 50 ppm range. I've heard that does vary, even though it hasn't been my experience. You can also buy k-meta powder, so you can more precisely add k-meta (very small quantities at a time, like 1/8 tsp).
What I would do is stabilize by racking to a new carboy, wait about 5 days, and then sweeten to taste and then bottle. That may allow some of the free so2 to disapate some, but still protect the wine.
Those commercial stabilizers are fine, if you want to use them instead. I prefer using the sorbate/campden so I can sweeten to my preference, but if the wine conditioner works for you, that's great.