Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > mesed up my wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
goteamwhatever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mesed up my wine

Sooo I been a combination of broke and lazy. I have five gallons of mayhaw jelly wine been sitting in primary for two weeks without an airlock. What is going to be wrong with my wine. I plan on racking today. Should I even do that.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwhatever
Sooo I been a combination of broke and lazy. I have five gallons of mayhaw jelly wine been sitting in primary for two weeks without an airlock. What is going to be wrong with my wine. I plan on racking today. Should I even do that.
What is the current specific gravity? More than likely, it is still actively fermenting, protecting your new wine.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

Its slightly active don't know the s.g. at the moment. I could add yeast energizer or nutrient but don't want bad bacteria or whatnot in it to get kicked into gear.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

Its slightly active don't now the s.g. at the moment could add yeast energizer or nutrient but I don't want to boost the bad bacteria or whatnot that's in it.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So what's the problem? Rack it.

I'm pretty lazy and left many in a bucket with a lid just teetering on top for a couple weeks.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yup, you should be good.

Rack it and airlock it.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

Cool thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Out of curiosity, you say it is slightly active....how did you determine this without using your hydrometer? Try to always use hydrometer to determine where you are, it will take the guess work out of it. Establish good habits now & you will not have huge issues later.

Definitely do not want to add energizer/nutrient without knowing SG, because there is a point of no return with the stuff and you can really unbalance things if you add it too late. I never add once wine has dropped SG more than 2/3. Some will not add if SG has dropped more than 50%.

But honestly the best thing to do is taste it, assess for oxidization (do you know the wine tasting/in a glass/against white background method to check for oxidization?), check SG then go ahead and rack to carboy, apply airlock and rack monthly as long as dropping sediment. That has worked for my jam wines & almost every batch was naturally clear, degassed, and being consumed as early as 90 days after SG zeroed out. But if you want to age a bit, then I would rack to carboy/airlock & rack again in a month, then aim for every 2 months as long as dropping sediment. Should be clear/sediment free with ideally no more than three rackings beyond finished ferment. Do not forget to dose with SO2 quarterly and especially before you initiate that first offgassing session.
Other than that I would say you are still on your path to 5 gallons of delicious mayhaw wine.

Do you make the jelly or know someone who does? Looking for a good source personally since no mayhaws in my area. That is my MIL favorite jelly on the planet.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

Actually my great grandmother makes it. I just get from her when she has some made. When the mayhaw come in season I could probably get a couple and send your way.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwhatever View Post
Actually my great grandmother makes it. I just get from her when she has some made. When the mayhaw come in season I could probably get a couple and send your way.
That would be awesome! Will send wine in trade if you like. Just give me a yell if you think about it when the season is upon us.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply