Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Meat grinder to crush grapes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
COLObrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Meat grinder to crush grapes?

We made/are making some grape wine, the white is bottled, the red is in different stages of racking. We used the powered meat grinder to crush the grapes using the plate with the largest holes, appx, 3/8".

My questions are: Will this likely create too much tannin in the wine? Some of the stems seem to wrap up at the end of the auger but I have to think that some are getting chopped up and sent to the must. Does any one use their grinder for this? Do I need to get a destemmer of some sort? How did they do it in the old days?

Info on the grapes, etc:
All grapes were picked late, some were at the stage of turning to raisins, my refractometer went off scale at one point, above 40 brix I think, maybe I had some pulp in it or something. The whites are a blend of about 4 varietals, the reds about 6. There were not enough left (after the jelly/juice pickers) to make separate batches per varietal.

The white seems fine so far, it is tremendously sweet and I can't detect any tannin, which is how I want it for dessert wine, in fact it has a smooth buttery texture with some creamy honey flavors. It's only 5 months old from picking to date. Used ale yeast, pot meta and sorbate.

The red is in the racking stage and seems to be clearing well since pressing, visually as well as flavor. One batch I used champagne yeast, the other I used ale yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Tannins a more a function of how long the wine is left on the must. With a white, as you've noticed, no tannins at all.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice, Always something else to learn, now I'm hoping I didn't rack it off the must too soon, balance being a consideration and all.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

You don't want to crush the seeds when you crush grapes. The idea behind a crusher is to gently crush the grapes without crushing the seeds.

Quick Reply