The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Maple Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
MKelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple Wine

Good morning all.
I am new to wine making, but have been making ciders for a while.

I have a question:
Has anyone ever made maple wine?
I just staretd a batch last week just to see. I produce about 5 gallon of maple syrup from my own trees every year. This year I boiled 80 something gallons of maple sap dow to get a sg of 1.09, added about 1 1/2 cups wildflower honey, yeast nutrient and lavin 1118 yeast. Its bubbling away like mad with a mild yeasty aroma.

Just have not seen any recipies for this and i am not sure if it is due to the cost, amount of labor involved or if the end product is nasty.(hoping its one of the first two not the last)

Any input would be great

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
jkpq45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Subscribed. Thought about doing this with bulk maple syrup from Sam's Club and maybe oak aging.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Considering I love maple syrup, I bet and hope it comes out good. I read maple does not have a huge amount of fermentables in it so the honey was probably a good choice to raise the ABV a bit.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
kardijan
Recipes 

Default Maple Wine

Hi! I'm Kardijan! This is my first posting & the original message was last December Anyway, I just opened a bottle of our Maple wine made in March 2007 from our own Maple trees. IT IS STILL WORKING!!!! It is like a Maple Champagne or something! I've never tasted anything like it before. The flavour borders on sweetness, but the bubbles give it a bite that hits mid-chest!! Sounds weird, eh? I should have known, as we have lost two bottles over the last 6 months or so from the corks popping off & landing across the other side of the Dining Room! Never had that happen before, either! Good luck with the Maple Wine, &, if it works, let me know how you managed it. I suggest three years in the bottle unless they decide to open themselves!!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds delicious! Actually fermented maple syrup is considered by some a variation of mead, even when there's not a lot of honey in it. Do a search for "acerglyn" on here and some of the mead websites. (Where do all these mead names come from anyway?) I've thought about doing something like this (which is how I found the name), but since I don't have any maple trees of my own it could get pretty pricey. Good luck!

Quick Reply