Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #9961
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My batch (first full batch, I did a 1 gal test batch last year) was made from 5 gals. of late season cider from a local orchard. It fermented out very dry (0.998), but no sourness. Six months after pitching, and two after bottling, it has a nice apple flavor, but would be quite dry for the tastes of many people. Some people backsweeten, but I like it the way it is. I have no explanation for the sourness in your batches.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #9962
zosch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567
My batch (first full batch, I did a 1 gal test batch last year) was made from 5 gals. of late season cider from a local orchard. It fermented out very dry (0.998), but no sourness. Six months after pitching, and two after bottling, it has a nice apple flavor, but would be quite dry for the tastes of many people. Some people backsweeten, but I like it the way it is. I have no explanation for the sourness in your batches.
The only thing I can think of is the room they were fermenting in got a bit hot. Maybe that caused the off flavors? I recently moved and my basement is a stable 68 degrees F I'm going to try a batch down there and compare.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #9963
Jboyles123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I bottled my batch after almost 7 weeks in primary, I used montrachet yeast. Final gravity was 0.999. The yeastcake was solid and it had cleared nicely. I put 5oz of corn sugar in the 5 GAL batch and bottled some in flip top bottles and some in 16oz pet bottles. It's been 5 days at 70-75 degRees and the pet bottles are still soft and have no sediment in them. Does it take a long time for apfelwein to carbonate? Will there be yeast sediment in them? Usually my beer has some sediment by this time.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #9964
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Started a 5 gallon batch last night using Kirkland Apple Juice but following the original recipe in the OP. I did not see any fermentation this morning like my friend say after the first hour or so. Hope the yeast was viable, this is my first attempt at brewing anything. I set my fermentation chamber to 66 degrees, so typically the air temp seem to be a bit lower say 63-66.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #9965
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
Just sampled my 1st batch upon racking to secondary to free up my better bottle. All I can say is, wow that was easy, and damn good, even at only 3 weeks or so. I have a question though. I followed originally recipe on page 1, but for only a 4 gallon batch, my original OG came to 1.052, I didn't have more sugar, so I let that go a week or so until it went to about ~1.00, I then added table sugar to bring it up to 1.022. Upon racking today it was 1.006. How should I figure the ABV for a late sugar addition like that? Is it just 1.052 + 1.022? as my new OG?

Thanks again for the community for making this so easy. Next time I will take better notes so I remember what the hell I just did.

John
3 weeks! WOW! I am getting excited. I hate waiting. May I ask, at 3 weeks had your yeast stopped working yet or were they still going?

Also, sorry I can't answer your OG question. This is my first batch and I have no idea how to calculate that. To show you how "systematic" I am, I made my 3 gallon batch by using 3 pint glasses filled with dextrose. I am pretty sure it was accurate

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9966
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default my first batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Started a 5 gallon batch last night using Kirkland Apple Juice but following the original recipe in the OP. I did not see any fermentation this morning like my friend say after the first hour or so. Hope the yeast was viable, this is my first attempt at brewing anything. I set my fermentation chamber to 66 degrees, so typically the air temp seem to be a bit lower say 63-66.
I used Lalvin 71b-1122 and I got airlock bubbles after 6 hours. I also accidentally put my 3 gallon bottle in an area of my house that vibrates due to the water heater. I know that doesn't make a difference but just saying. I'm a noobie.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #9967
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboyles123 View Post
I bottled my batch after almost 7 weeks in primary, I used montrachet yeast. Final gravity was 0.999. The yeastcake was solid and it had cleared nicely. I put 5oz of corn sugar in the 5 GAL batch and bottled some in flip top bottles and some in 16oz pet bottles. It's been 5 days at 70-75 degRees and the pet bottles are still soft and have no sediment in them. Does it take a long time for apfelwein to carbonate? Will there be yeast sediment in them? Usually my beer has some sediment by this time.
Higher alcohol may meaning longer for carbonation to occur. Less yeast from a longer primary may mean the same thing. I had a batch that took about a month before it properly carbed. At first I thought I'd messed up my sugar addition calculation, but it worked out in the end.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #9968
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tested mine the other night after a month and a couple days in primary. It was really dry, actually to dry for my tastes. So, I added another 1lb of sugar to backsweeten, and noticed that there were little bubbles coming up to the top. I hope this little secondary ferment doesn't take it back to dry. I did bottle 5 that were dry so I could at least test them after a while, maybe I'll like it better after some aging.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #9969
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643
I tested mine the other night after a month and a couple days in primary. It was really dry, actually to dry for my tastes. So, I added another 1lb of sugar to backsweeten, and noticed that there were little bubbles coming up to the top. I hope this little secondary ferment doesn't take it back to dry. I did bottle 5 that were dry so I could at least test them after a while, maybe I'll like it better after some aging.
Id imagine you will bring it back to dry. You will need to put the yeast to feast before you add the sugar

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #9970
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is this an effect of the yeast then, as I'd read the montrachet yeast will ferment to dry? What yeasts won't ferment completely dry, if any?

I'd imagine this batch is staying dry then unless racked and then backsweetened, but I don't have a secondary, so I'll live with this batch as dry for now. Sounds like the rest of the batch might have a little higher abv from the minor secondary ferment .

Quick Reply