Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #9941
ChrisTags
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm on day 4, and no rhino farts yet.....keeping my fingers crossed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #9942
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Well it's been exactly 2 weeks since I started my batch of this. I followed the original recipe exactly except I did not put any extra sugar in it, just the 5 gallons of apple juice. The OG was 1.050 and the current SG is 1.006, so right about 5.8% ABV. It definitely still has a little apple taste to it, doesn't taste too dry, still has a little sweetness to it. I plan on tasting it every week or so until it doesn't seem to be changing much and then carbing it in bottles. Thanks Ed!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #9943
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In 4 days, I will be at 1 month since pitching this batch. It doesn't look like it's clearing up at all yet. I know many of you say wait 2-6 months for it to clear, but some said they had success in about a month with it clearing.

I'm planning on bottling it in a mix of beer bottles and wine bottles (since that is what I have on hand). I'm not planning on carbing it or backsweetening it. I am bottling it all in another week, so between 4.5-5 weeks from pitching the batch. Even if it's not clearing in the next week, I'm still bottling. Going to do another batch at some point and let go for 2 months in primary to compare, and then at 3, etc...

Just hope the wine bottles hold up as I don't want bombs if all the yeasties aren't at the bottom of the primary yet. Can't wait to test it while bottling, and testing it thereafter .

Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #9944
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had it in the fermenter for four months Dec. - March. (roughly two months primary, then secondary with pectic enzyme to try to clear it two more months), no clearing. Bottled early March, didn't start getting really clear until early June, still is not 100% clear. Tastes great, though......

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #9945
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643 View Post
In 4 days, I will be at 1 month since pitching this batch. It doesn't look like it's clearing up at all yet. I know many of you say wait 2-6 months for it to clear, but some said they had success in about a month with it clearing.

I'm planning on bottling it in a mix of beer bottles and wine bottles (since that is what I have on hand). I'm not planning on carbing it or backsweetening it. I am bottling it all in another week, so between 4.5-5 weeks from pitching the batch. Even if it's not clearing in the next week, I'm still bottling. Going to do another batch at some point and let go for 2 months in primary to compare, and then at 3, etc...

Just hope the wine bottles hold up as I don't want bombs if all the yeasties aren't at the bottom of the primary yet. Can't wait to test it while bottling, and testing it thereafter .
It doesn't matter if the yeast are still in suspension- what matter is whether or not they haven't finished the sugar off yet. Yeast alone won't make any CO2 if there is nothing to eat. At worst, there may be a little CO2 in solution in the fermenter, but at room temp, this will be fairly miniscule and won't typically cause a problem.
Yeast waking up and finishing sugar off in the bottle, now that's an issue, and will be a problem if you don't have a bottle designed to hold the CO2 produced.

I recommend checking your gravity. It should be fairly dry if the sugars are done, with a gravity right around 1.000 or a little less (depending on yeast, maybe a couple of points higher)
You can always cold crash it if you're fermented out and the yeast just haven't dropped yet. A fridge is an easy way, but a swamp cooler with ice/frozen water bottles will work just fine.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #9946
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

What's the longest someone has left this in the primary. On the cake?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #9947
Uberlame1982
Recipes 

Been a long time lurker, but after coming across this recipe I just had to join in on this thread!

This is my first batch of apfelwein, and my first brew of something other than beer. I "brewed" yesterday following EdWort's recipe, and so far things are going great. I woke up this morning to find it bubbling like crazy, giving off a nice apple aroma.

Coming across this recipe came at a great time. I had some surgery recently and have been given strict orders not to lift anything over 15 pounds. Since that pretty much rules out my normal beer brewing (a sack of grain for my imperial IPA weighs a tad more than 15 pounds after it's been mashing for an hour HAH!) I got to looking for something easier to make, and this apfelwein fits the bill perfectly! Plus it does not hurt that the wife and I both like hard cider type drinks. She already asked when it will be ready, because she wants to try it now!

I'd also like to say this thread has been very informative, I've starting reading from the beginning and have picked up a ton of great info. Still got a lot to finish reading, I'm only up to page 73 so far

Bottled
Stout, Belgian White, SN Torpedo IPA Clone, Imperial IPA,(Another)Imperial IPA

Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #9948
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I made a batch its about 3 months old. I was racking to a secondary yesterday and took a sample, it just tasted like watered down apple juice. Is this normal at this point?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #9949
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well I just assembled my first batch in one of my weird blue 18L carboys.

4 gallons Tree-Top from costco, most of a 3L Langiers from the grocery store, 2 pounds of light brown sugar, couple teaspoons of yeast nutrient, red star premiere cuvee yeast. This is near the bottom of the neck.

I could have sworn that i bought some montrachet wine yeast but i couldn't find it.

Since i have two of these carboys - which are useless for beer in the batch sizes i want to brew - i am considering starting another one soon w/ montrachet and corn sugar, for comparison.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #9950
jab007
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started my first batch June 22, 2012. Three (3) gallon of 100% Publix brand apple juice, one (1) pound of corn sugar, montrachet
Wine yeast, 3 gal better bottle carbon. Will let ferment in this primary for 2 months, then my intentions are to rack over to a 3 gal glass carboy. I know it can stay longer, but since I'll been doing wine for quite some time I perfer to rack over this as I do my vino. I figure it will good enough to table a bit for Christmas then just let the remainder bulk age for another few months then bottle and store.

Quick Reply